• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding a Raw Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I have all 4 of my dogs on a raw diet, they stay very healthy :)

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Actually the mass majority of restaurant grease goes into cattle feed and is sold as fancy fats for the soap industry.
Yeah, they do that too, but they also create a high quality dog food for the racing greyhounds in Iowa...
This is under their "Other Products":

-Hides are processed at our Kansas City facility and sold to the leather industry for shoe components, sole leather, garments and gloves.

-Pet Food
is produced at select Darling locations. Our Qual Pet product line has been sold to the greyhound industry for over 40 years.

-Qual Fat Tanks are offered through our Des Moines facility where we provide complete installation of our feeding fat systems. We offer a variety of tank sizes to fit your specific feed manufacturing needs. Renewable Energy or Bio-fuels has received much public attention and offers promise as a viable alternative to petroleum fuel. The oils and greases we produce can and are being used as components in the manufacture of bio-fuel, while we continue to study the role Darling can play in this developing industry.

Through efficient rendering, virtually nothing that Darling takes in goes to waste.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My husband has worked in the rendering industry for 34 years I can tell you more about it than you would probably ever want to know :) The company he works for owns approximately 95% of the rendering plants in the Midwest. Darling pretty much owns the rest of them. I got a good laugh out of the link posted previously, I am sure him and his co workers would all love to know that they are Illegal Mexican Migrant workers :D They are pretty highly regulated by the FDA and do testing on every batch for Salmonella among other things. Only a certain percentage of their product can be used in animal feeds and it has to test out to certain levels of proteins etc. A large majority of their product goes into fertilizers and cattle feeds. Most of the grease is used in fertilizers and cattle feeds and a lot of the restaurant grease ends up as what is called fancy fats and used in the soap industry.

LittleGems

Rollerblading along the road
I have been feeding a raw diet since 1995, and have raised 6 generations of dogs on raw! (In fact, a fairly large percentage of breeders in my main breed feed a raw diet!) My puppies are weaned right on to a raw diet starting at 4 weeks.

pupbone.jpg

My vets are very supportive of a raw diet as well :D I have had no health issues as a result of feeding a raw diet, aside from years ago when I still offered large weight bearing bones to chew on and a few dogs cracked molars (I have very strong chewers!)

My raw-raised dogs have done well in the show ring, including Best In Show, AOM at national specialties, at Eukanuba and Westminster, and #1 in the breed in my country, so I would say they do ok ;) they also compete successfully in flyball, agility, obedience, rally and dockdogs! :highfive:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
My vet actually handed out a folder and in it there were pamphlets on the benefits of feeding raw and/or prepared foods, as long as it is done correctly. She feeds her dogs and cats raw, and I think she probably gave it to me because I did ask about raw feeding, I think that was in 2008, just a few years ago anyway. I think there are more vets that are pro-raw, or maybe I started noticing it more as I researched it more and more. :shrug:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for the info, everyone! I have just one question right now as he's taking to it very well....in this transition period while he's on only chicken, should it be a mix of bone-in and boneless? Or do I just stick with the chicken thighs I bought him?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the info, everyone! I have just one question right now as he's taking to it very well....in this transition period while he's on only chicken, should it be a mix of bone-in and boneless? Or do I just stick with the chicken thighs I bought him?
Depends on his poop. Some dogs do well with either, some need a few boneless meals here and there to avoid constipation, while other seem to need bone in every meal or they get soft poops. I'd try mixing it up a little after a week or so to see how he does, but there is no need to rush if he's doing well.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Your dog is so far removed from the wild dogs in his heritage that what's "natural" for them is not going to necessarily be the best for the dog in this day and age, but to each thier own. All I can say is that most people base thier knowledge off a combintion of education ( which I have ) and day to day experience (which I also have) and I can say raw has more trouble than benefit. But many disagree, and if it works well for your pet, go ahead and do it :)

I dont agree that vets dont know about food, raw and kibble alike. Half the work up for an animal is thier diet. The only reason they push for kibble is because thier practice profits from the sales, not because they believe its the only diet option. Oner of my collegues feeds his dogs cooked, unseasoned pork loin from costco, LOL

KellyBelly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelly
**This is a cross post from a lady on my IG board. This is NOT my post. She does this for her 6 Italian Greyhounds.**

I recently had a request to please post what I do to prepare my dogs, raw diet. I have written down the step by step preparation as well as what appliances I use.

***I no longer add a vitamin mix to the protein, but add it into each dog's food bowl. Instead of making the Healthy Powder...I made it simpler by buying a vitamin mix, skin and coat mix and bone and joint mix.

**This is by no means an endorsement for feeding raw or a suggestion for anyone to follow my feeding practices. This is what I have been doing for 2 years and what works for my self and my dogs.

This is the book that got me started in feeding Raw: Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide To Natural Health for Dogs and Cats The first raw recipe I used was on p-65, but I doubled it.

Appliances that I use:
Meat Grinder - After burning the motor up in 4 meat grinders, I did some research on hunting forums and found the line of Sam Baere. If you are preparing for 3 or more dogs, I would go with the upper end of the line. The SB840 is the one that I have. When using a meat grinder, it's always good to have brushes for cleaning. I use the meat grinder for not only processing the meat, but also for processing the vegetables and fruits. if you
start with the fruits and vegetables first, you can go right to the meat directly after. But, if you start with the meat, you should do a good cleaning before starting the veggie/fruit mix. I never do the meat and the veggie/fruit mix on the same day because I do such a large quantity.

Pressure Cooker - I use a pressure cooker to cook most of the vegetables I use. It allows me steam them from aldente to fully cooked in 3-4 minutes. I have a the Fagor, Futuro 10 qt. size. I use the highest setting, #2.

Food Saver - I use this system to vaccuum seal my food packages for freezing. This is the model I have. The Food Saver can be purchased at any box store or Beds Bath & Beyond along with extra bags. You can buy the bags in quart or gallon sizes. I prefer to buy the quart and gallon Rolls, which I cut to custom sizes using the nifty attachment built into the unit.

Food Processor - The only thing I do with my food processor is to process the raw, peeled and cored apples or to puree the strawberries, blueberries and Kale if used. If you try to put so many apples through the meat grinder, apple juice will begin to collect in the hopper. I use the use the chopping blade for this.

Mop Bucket - I bought an oblong mop bucket for mixing the food in.

How to Prepare the foods: Recipe can be divided as needed or doubled. For my 5 girls, this is what I prepare for a month feeding 2x a day.

MEAT MIXTURE: USE DISPOSABLE MEDICAL GLOVES WHILE DESKINING CHICKEN NECKS PROCESS ALL MEAT IN MEAT GRINDER

12 PACKAGES OF CHICKEN NECKS (APPROX 72 NECKS), DESKINED, THESE CAN BE ORDERED AT YOUR LOCAL MARKET (THERE ARE 12-13 PACKAGES IN A CASE)

MUSCLE MEAT: 16 BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS AND 24 BONELESS CHICKEN THEIGHS (I GET THEM AT COSTCO) OR 10 LBS GROUND TURKEY, ALSO AT COSTCO

1 PACKAGE EACH OF CHICKEN HEARTS AND LIVERS

HEALTHY POWDER (DR. PITCAIRN'S BOOK, P-53):
2 CUPS *KAL NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1 CUP LECITHIN GRANULES
¼ CUP KELP POWDER
4 TALBLESPOONS *KAL BONE MEAL (THIS CAN BE OMITTED BECAUSE OF THE CHICKEN NECK BONES - I INCLUDE IT)
MIX THE ABOVE TOGETHER....PUT INTO SEALED CONTAINER AND MIX 1 TEASPOON TO MEAL, DAILY.

PUT INTO PACKAGES THAT WILL LAST NO MORE THAN 3 DAYS THAWED OUT, SEAL AND FREEZE.. SOAK PACKAGES IN HOT WATER IN SINK TO THAW.. THIS IS A RAW MEAT WITH TINY BONES FROM THE CHICKEN NECKS, ONLY HEAT IN MICROWAVE ON DEFROST IN ORDER TO TAKE THE CHILL OUT...YOU DO NOT WANT THE BONES TO COOK AND GET BRITTLE.

VEGGIE FRUIT MIXTURE PROCESSED IN MEAT GRINDER. I BOUGHT AN OBLONG MOB BUCKET TO MIX THE WITH MY HANDS.

12 VERY LARGE SWEET POTATOES, SKINNED..WRAP IN FOIL AND BAKE ON FOIL SHEET OR COOKIE SHEET @ 425 DEGREES UNTIL POTATOES ARE VERY SOFT AND KNIFE COMES OUT CLEAN (ABOUT 2 HOURS)... PUT THROUGH MEAT GRINDER OR MASHED

12 SWEET APPLES, CORED AND PEELED.. I LIKE GOLDEN DELICIOUS, GRATED IN FOOD PROCESSOR USING GRATING DISC..YOU CAN TRY TO USE THE MEAT GRINDER BUT I FOUND THAT APPLE JUICE COMES OUT OF THE HOPPER AND MAKES A MESS

12 RIPE BANANAS PEELED AND PUT THROUGH MEAT GRINDER OR MASH

12-14 LBS "FRESH" GREEN BEANS (what the veggie/fruit mix is mainly made up of).. I REALLY LOVE THE ONES AT COSTCO..THEY ARE CLEAN AND ALREADY TRIMMED“ STEAMED UNTIL COMPLETELY COOKED THEN PUT THROUGH THE MEAT GRINDER

2 POUND BAG OF BABY CARROTS... STEAMED ALDENTE AND PUT THROUGH THE MEAT GRINDER

1 TRAY OF STRAWBERRIES - PUREE IN FOOD PROCESSOR

24 OZ TRAY OF BLUEBERRIES - ANTIOXIDENT - PUREE IN FOOD PROCESSOR

MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER BY HAND (NO GLOVES) AND USE THE FOOD SAVER TO STORE PACKAGES THAT WILL LAST FOR 2-3 DAYS AFTER THAWING (BETTER TO MAKE SMALL PACKAGES THAT LAST 2-3 DAY TOPS) THEN FREEZE.

TO THAW OUT BOTH THE MEAT MIXTURE AND VEGGIE/FRUIT PACKAGES, I FILL MY SINK UP WITH HOT WATER AND LET IT THAW IN THE WATER. IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG.

OPTIONAL VEGGIES TO TRY:

ZUCHINNI (WILL ADD MORE MOISTURE TO THE MIX)
BROCCOLI (1 HEAD)
CAULIFLOWER (1 HEAD)

MEAL MIXERS FOR A REAL TREAT (DOLLOP) - 1/2 SARDINE TAIL (PACKED IN WATER), CANNED SALMON, COTTAGE CHEESE, HARD BOILED EGG, COTTAGE CHEESE, PLAIN YOGURT

Video:
‪Sambaere meat grinder‬‏ - YouTube

BESIDES THE "HEALTHY POWDER", THAT THE DOGS GET ADDED TO THIER MORNING MEAL, I ALSO GIVE THEM A GOOD MULTIVITAMIN/MINERAL CHEWABLE, AND IN THIER EVENING MEAL, A TEASPOON OF SALMON OIL (THERE ARE ALSO FLAX OIL PRODUCTS THAT ARE MEANT FOR DOGS OR COLD MILLED ORGANIC FLAX SEED THAT ARE GREAT IN OMEGA 3'S THAT YOU CAN USE INSTEAD) AND I ALSO GIVE THE DOGS ONE TEASPOON OF "WHOLISTIC CANINE COMPLETE JOINT MOBILITY"

Bon Appetite!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
All I can say is that most people base thier knowledge off a combintion of education ( which I have ) and day to day experience (which I also have) and I can say raw has more trouble than benefit.

Kim, I'm not sure where you intended to go with this, but it looks to me as those who feed raw you consider uneducated. I respect your decision for your animals to not do it, but I know of people who have a very high degree of education in animals and work with them every day who feel it is best. And although my particular education is not in animals, I certainly didn't jump into this without thought and consideration for my dog and weighing my experiences with him and others. I don't appreciate feeling demeaned because you personally don't support raw feeding.

I dont agree that vets dont know about food, raw and kibble alike. Half the work up for an animal is thier diet. The only reason they push for kibble is because thier practice profits from the sales, not because they believe its the only diet option.

I have to question how there can be trust for anyone you know is doing this? Money over well-being?? Sounds like a vet I'd avoid like the plague...

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
**This is a cross post from a lady on my IG board. This is NOT my post. She does this for her 6 Italian Greyhounds.**

I recently had a request to please post what I do to prepare my dogs, raw diet. I have written down the step by step preparation as well as what appliances I use.

***I no longer add a vitamin mix to the protein, but add it into each dog's food bowl. Instead of making the Healthy Powder...I made it simpler by buying a vitamin mix, skin and coat mix and bone and joint mix.

**This is by no means an endorsement for feeding raw or a suggestion for anyone to follow my feeding practices. This is what I have been doing for 2 years and what works for my self and my dogs.

This is the book that got me started in feeding Raw: Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide To Natural Health for Dogs and Cats The first raw recipe I used was on p-65, but I doubled it.

Appliances that I use:
Meat Grinder - After burning the motor up in 4 meat grinders, I did some research on hunting forums and found the line of Sam Baere. If you are preparing for 3 or more dogs, I would go with the upper end of the line. The SB840 is the one that I have. When using a meat grinder, it's always good to have brushes for cleaning. I use the meat grinder for not only processing the meat, but also for processing the vegetables and fruits. if you
start with the fruits and vegetables first, you can go right to the meat directly after. But, if you start with the meat, you should do a good cleaning before starting the veggie/fruit mix. I never do the meat and the veggie/fruit mix on the same day because I do such a large quantity.

Pressure Cooker - I use a pressure cooker to cook most of the vegetables I use. It allows me steam them from aldente to fully cooked in 3-4 minutes. I have a the Fagor, Futuro 10 qt. size. I use the highest setting, #2.

Food Saver - I use this system to vaccuum seal my food packages for freezing. This is the model I have. The Food Saver can be purchased at any box store or Beds Bath & Beyond along with extra bags. You can buy the bags in quart or gallon sizes. I prefer to buy the quart and gallon Rolls, which I cut to custom sizes using the nifty attachment built into the unit.

Food Processor - The only thing I do with my food processor is to process the raw, peeled and cored apples or to puree the strawberries, blueberries and Kale if used. If you try to put so many apples through the meat grinder, apple juice will begin to collect in the hopper. I use the use the chopping blade for this.

Mop Bucket - I bought an oblong mop bucket for mixing the food in.

How to Prepare the foods: Recipe can be divided as needed or doubled. For my 5 girls, this is what I prepare for a month feeding 2x a day.

MEAT MIXTURE: USE DISPOSABLE MEDICAL GLOVES WHILE DESKINING CHICKEN NECKS PROCESS ALL MEAT IN MEAT GRINDER

12 PACKAGES OF CHICKEN NECKS (APPROX 72 NECKS), DESKINED, THESE CAN BE ORDERED AT YOUR LOCAL MARKET (THERE ARE 12-13 PACKAGES IN A CASE)

MUSCLE MEAT: 16 BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS AND 24 BONELESS CHICKEN THEIGHS (I GET THEM AT COSTCO) OR 10 LBS GROUND TURKEY, ALSO AT COSTCO

1 PACKAGE EACH OF CHICKEN HEARTS AND LIVERS

HEALTHY POWDER (DR. PITCAIRN'S BOOK, P-53):
2 CUPS *KAL NUTRITIONAL YEAST
1 CUP LECITHIN GRANULES
¼ CUP KELP POWDER
4 TALBLESPOONS *KAL BONE MEAL (THIS CAN BE OMITTED BECAUSE OF THE CHICKEN NECK BONES - I INCLUDE IT)
MIX THE ABOVE TOGETHER....PUT INTO SEALED CONTAINER AND MIX 1 TEASPOON TO MEAL, DAILY.

PUT INTO PACKAGES THAT WILL LAST NO MORE THAN 3 DAYS THAWED OUT, SEAL AND FREEZE.. SOAK PACKAGES IN HOT WATER IN SINK TO THAW.. THIS IS A RAW MEAT WITH TINY BONES FROM THE CHICKEN NECKS, ONLY HEAT IN MICROWAVE ON DEFROST IN ORDER TO TAKE THE CHILL OUT...YOU DO NOT WANT THE BONES TO COOK AND GET BRITTLE.

VEGGIE FRUIT MIXTURE PROCESSED IN MEAT GRINDER. I BOUGHT AN OBLONG MOB BUCKET TO MIX THE WITH MY HANDS.

12 VERY LARGE SWEET POTATOES, SKINNED..WRAP IN FOIL AND BAKE ON FOIL SHEET OR COOKIE SHEET @ 425 DEGREES UNTIL POTATOES ARE VERY SOFT AND KNIFE COMES OUT CLEAN (ABOUT 2 HOURS)... PUT THROUGH MEAT GRINDER OR MASHED

12 SWEET APPLES, CORED AND PEELED.. I LIKE GOLDEN DELICIOUS, GRATED IN FOOD PROCESSOR USING GRATING DISC..YOU CAN TRY TO USE THE MEAT GRINDER BUT I FOUND THAT APPLE JUICE COMES OUT OF THE HOPPER AND MAKES A MESS

12 RIPE BANANAS PEELED AND PUT THROUGH MEAT GRINDER OR MASH

12-14 LBS "FRESH" GREEN BEANS (what the veggie/fruit mix is mainly made up of).. I REALLY LOVE THE ONES AT COSTCO..THEY ARE CLEAN AND ALREADY TRIMMED“ STEAMED UNTIL COMPLETELY COOKED THEN PUT THROUGH THE MEAT GRINDER

2 POUND BAG OF BABY CARROTS... STEAMED ALDENTE AND PUT THROUGH THE MEAT GRINDER

1 TRAY OF STRAWBERRIES - PUREE IN FOOD PROCESSOR

24 OZ TRAY OF BLUEBERRIES - ANTIOXIDENT - PUREE IN FOOD PROCESSOR

MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER BY HAND (NO GLOVES) AND USE THE FOOD SAVER TO STORE PACKAGES THAT WILL LAST FOR 2-3 DAYS AFTER THAWING (BETTER TO MAKE SMALL PACKAGES THAT LAST 2-3 DAY TOPS) THEN FREEZE.

TO THAW OUT BOTH THE MEAT MIXTURE AND VEGGIE/FRUIT PACKAGES, I FILL MY SINK UP WITH HOT WATER AND LET IT THAW IN THE WATER. IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG.

OPTIONAL VEGGIES TO TRY:

ZUCHINNI (WILL ADD MORE MOISTURE TO THE MIX)
BROCCOLI (1 HEAD)
CAULIFLOWER (1 HEAD)

MEAL MIXERS FOR A REAL TREAT (DOLLOP) - 1/2 SARDINE TAIL (PACKED IN WATER), CANNED SALMON, COTTAGE CHEESE, HARD BOILED EGG, COTTAGE CHEESE, PLAIN YOGURT

Video:
‪Sambaere meat grinder‬‏ - YouTube

BESIDES THE "HEALTHY POWDER", THAT THE DOGS GET ADDED TO THIER MORNING MEAL, I ALSO GIVE THEM A GOOD MULTIVITAMIN/MINERAL CHEWABLE, AND IN THIER EVENING MEAL, A TEASPOON OF SALMON OIL (THERE ARE ALSO FLAX OIL PRODUCTS THAT ARE MEANT FOR DOGS OR COLD MILLED ORGANIC FLAX SEED THAT ARE GREAT IN OMEGA 3'S THAT YOU CAN USE INSTEAD) AND I ALSO GIVE THE DOGS ONE TEASPOON OF "WHOLISTIC CANINE COMPLETE JOINT MOBILITY"

Bon Appetite!

This is how I do it and at times I give chicken with the bone. I have been feeding raw for 15 years, all my dogs :D

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I've always assumed dogs are carnivores as opposed to omnivores with more carnivorous tendencies due to the structure of their teeth and digestive tract. Their digestive tracts are shorter as compared to say, a cow, with a long digestive tract. I was also under the impression that the digestive enzymes for carnivores vs. omnivores were different as well, but I'll have to look up specifics.

About eating the digestive systems, I didn't think they did eat the stomach contents? They will eat plant matter if they need to (veggies and such) but I've noticed even with my parent's Aussie, if she eats something like say, a carrot, it comes out exactly as it went in.
Myths About Raw: Do wolves eat stomach contents of prey?
Dogs are not obligate carnivores; the various cat species, for example are obligate carnivores. Cows are herbivores, and have the digestive tract of herbivores. Dogs are omnivores with carnivorous leanings, but many/most dogs can actually do quite well on a vegetarian diet, which obligate carnivores cannot.

Most people I know who are educated on dogs' dietary needs and who feed raw do not feed meat exclusively, but add in finely chopped vegetables and some fruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.