• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

feeding a hummingbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of you may have seen this when I posted it on FB back in July. I figured I would share it here finally :o:

My DH and my dad were out doing guy stuff at the ranch and came across a hummingbird on the ground. She was sitting in a shallow puddle of water, her face covered in algae and yuck (It was from the seasonal stream we get and was drying up, so pretty stagnant and gross).

They came up to the barn and called me over - I knew it would be something bad. When I got there, laying down in DH's hat was this tiny little hummingbird. Barely moving. I was upset of course, not wanting to see it if it was going to die. So of course we had to do something. Put her in a carrier and covered it, placed her in the barn office so she was safe while we mixed up nectar for her.

I syringe fed her, drop by drop at first and she started to perk up a little after about 20 minutes and then she would feed with gusto and then kinda just chill for a bit, lick a little and then feed with gusto again. I was able to get some pics and video (not much) but it was something beyond amazing and certainly nothing I ever thought I'd do.

We kept her outside and after a few hours she'd fly a bit and then sit perched wherever she happened to land (a few times on my shoulder!!!).

We got a feeder set up and took her to a canyon here that has a ton of plants that they love to feed on. She had really started perking up and flying more, so we wanted her to be in a place where she had food, shelter and safety but was not confined in anyway.

I had seen her a few times over the next few days so Im very confident that she made it. I have since read if they go too long without food they go into torpor so I think that is what happened. It seemed like a young bird and where she was found was pretty much wash and nothing to feed on that we could see.

Anyway, thought some of you might enjoy this.

[video=youtube_share;mh3rTzTlM2Y]http://youtu.be/mh3rTzTlM2Y[/video]

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She is so small and cute, what an interesting experience it would have been for you. She is lucky bird to have been found by such caring and wonderful people too. :hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
once in a lifetime Im sure. It was way, way cool. :) I normally do not like to interfere with nature, but I also cant stand to see something suffer...

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
Wow! How neat! I don't think there's anything quite as magical as a hummingbird. They can make me smile even on bad days.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Wow, how cool. And that tongue! I've never actually seen a close up of a hummingbird feeding before to see it's tongue like that!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
we were so amazed by the tongue too! I had figured it must be long but to really see it was so neat!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I remember watching this on FB what an amazing experience! I bet your Cash felt gigantic and heavy after holding that little itty bitty guy :)

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
That is so amazing what you guys did! She sure is cute..... definitely came to the right house :)

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
I dont know how I missed this on FB! But how amazing was that!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome.

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
My sister had something sinilar happen with a hummingbird that she found laying on the side walk just outside of her work place so me having birds she called me telling me that the hummer wasn't moving but she could see that it was alive. This happens sometimes when they fly so far and fast and run out of juice per say. They don't just survive on nectar alone but they get their protein from nats..etc. We attend the hummingbird festival every year and I put up about 10 feeders in my yard and I have had more hummers this year in my yard than any year and litterally had to duck when going in my backyard due to so many swarming. Just so everyone knows also it is a federal law and high fine you could pay to be caught keeping a hummingbird as a pet if you find one. In your case I know you helped this baby which in my opinion he/she needed that extra help and I would have attempted the samething to try to save this little one. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what an amazing experience..so gladyou were able to help!!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
That was great! Thats a totally different hummingbird than we have here. I'm glad you saved him :highfive:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
How special. Thanks for giving her a second chance, and to the men for bringing her to you. They are great too.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I saw this when you first posted it and was amazed by this little thing. Such a sweetie :heart:

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Watching this video of you helping a bird in need was awesome, & what a wonderfull experience , it must of been for you, Thanks so much , for helping this little guy out.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im glad there are such laws to protect them, actually it is not legal to keep any native wild bird as far as I know (a good thing). I believe you are not even supposed to hold them but of course I could not just look away. Knowing that they dont do well in captivity and also keeping in mind the laws about this sort of thing (needing to be done by someone that is licensed) our plan was to see how she would do over a few hours and if not improving we would have taken her to the Wildlife Waystation (a bit of a drive, but they would have taken her and helped her). We also had fed her a few ants (that was neat!). When she started doing her little test flights I figured we were in the clear so we moved to a place where she could just take off and be free as soon as she was ready. We lucked out that it worked so well. It would have been a bit of a drive to get her help but would have totally done it that day if thats what needed to be done. I am glad she was able to stay here though. We have a lot of hummers around here and I just totally love them. :) We have a feeder (still where we let her go) and plant a lot of hummer-loved plants around the ranch in addition to what just grows wild. They are the coolest little birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.