• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Feather popping out

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is your baby ok with being held? If so you can clip that one where the break is but I would only bother doing that if the feather is actually bothering him or getting caught on stuff. Burt broke one once that was driving him mad so I ended up clipping it where it was broken so the hanging bit was gone and not flapping about annoying him.

Kirby2009

Meeting neighbors
Is your baby ok with being held? If so you can clip that one where the break is but I would only bother doing that if the feather is actually bothering him or getting caught on stuff. Burt broke one once that was driving him mad so I ended up clipping it where it was broken so the hanging bit was gone and not flapping about annoying him.
I’m new to this. What if it’s a blood feather? Is that possible

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A blood feather has blood sitting in the actual feather shaft and is a brand new, still growing feather....... that was a fully grown broken feather. I will try to find some pics I had of Blood feathers on Burt for you. Always best to cut feathers like that if they are a problem instead of pull- they will fall out when ready and pulling them out hurts the bird and can rip the skin pretty bad too. I am glad you guys worked on it together and sorted it out!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez