• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite tricks?

ems08

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone!

I searched but didn't find any threads on this so forgive me if I missed something. I'm looking for recommendations on your favorite tricks that you've trained your parrot to do on command!

Riley's (quaker) behavior is best when we do daily training, but I need more ideas for what to add in. He's mastered "come here", "go to your cage", targeting to the scale or other specific spot, spinning in a circle, waving, and he also plays peekaboo and plays "find it" where I move a treat from hand to hand and then conceal it and he gets the treat if he taps the correct hand where it's hidden. He hates it if I leave the room he's in, so we're still working on "wait" aka stay for long enough for me to run to the bathroom without him trying to follow or throwing a fit.

Other tricks I've seen a lot in videos involve a bird rolling over, laying on their back, or flipping around a finger. He does *not* like being on his back or upside down so tips for how to enourage that incrementally would be great.

I would like to try one of the basketball or ring toss type toys because I think he would like those, but I'm concerned about safety (mostly toxicity since they would be supervised toys only) and haven't found anything like that from reputable vendors. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Training recall flight is fun! And wave is cute.

I have always wanted to train a bird to roll over, it is so cute! One day.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
You've done a lot already, congratulations!

Some safety things: having a harness put on, and leave-it.
Medical-related things: willingly go into their travel carrier, or taking a liquid from a syringe.
Husbandry: willingly accept a nail trim/file.

I've seen some impressive colour and shape recognition training too (check videos about Alex the African Grey).

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That's an impressive list of accomplishments for sure! I also thought of colour sorting. That'd be too cute. :laugh:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wow you have done lds already sounds like he loves training

pico can
turn around both directions
Flip seems to prefer that on a cotton rope perch
Wave
We do recall so when he lands where I tap gets a treat I suppose it maybe target training as well
He can do tunnel so I make a bridge with my hands on my arm and he goes through my hand
Tired to teach fetch with a ball bell but he just throws it in air

indie can
Turn around both directions
Flip (Colton rope perch ) as done it on wooden perch but seems to close grip and fly round it
Throws ball into my hand from perch
Recall but hand scared so lands on arm n perch’s I tap
Likes to hide behind curtain and when I say where’s indie gone pops her head out

really good post as I am stuck for more to learn them I thought of the basket ball hoop and colours
Ellaandthebirds on utube as really good videos on teaching tricks

have you got any videos of him doing tricks would love to see

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico flipped around my finger but I will say mine use their beaks to pull themselves bk over and it is a hard bite

ems08

Walking the driveway
Training recall flight is fun! And wave is cute.

I have always wanted to train a bird to roll over, it is so cute! One day.
Wave gave us trouble for a while because when I wave my hand his natural response was to bob his head. Which is cute but wasn't what I was going for! So I could probably train him to nod yes, too. Recall flight was the first thing we worked on, well I guess after step up.

You've done a lot already, congratulations!

Some safety things: having a harness put on, and leave-it.
Medical-related things: willingly go into their travel carrier, or taking a liquid from a syringe.
Husbandry: willingly accept a nail trim/file.

I've seen some impressive colour and shape recognition training too (check videos about Alex the African Grey).
Thank you! Putting a harness on is good-- we started with that but I think the Aviator I bought is a size too small. It should be right based on his weight but the hole for his head doesn't seem like it could possibly fit. We got as far as sticking his head through one of the other loops to get a treat. Leave it is a really good idea. He's thankfully good with his travel carrier, though still getting used to the backpack I got him for backyard adventures. And as a baby he learned how to use a water bottle (though I don't use one now, it made me too nervous) so he still instinctively licks/drinks from a syringe, straw, etc :yes4: He cooperates with me massaging coconut oil onto his feet once every week or two since they always seem to be dry, but I should try to add in some clipper/file desensitization to that.

That's an impressive list of accomplishments for sure! I also thought of colour sorting. That'd be too cute. :laugh:
That's what my mom really wants to train next! I'm just reluctant to buy something off Amazon since the options seem so sketchy and unsafe. But that's the only place I've found parrot sized toys like that. I tried buying him a shape toy at a kids second and store and it was too bug for him to play with.

Wow you have done lds already sounds like he loves training

pico can
turn around both directions
Flip seems to prefer that on a cotton rope perch
Wave
We do recall so when he lands where I tap gets a treat I suppose it maybe target training as well
He can do tunnel so I make a bridge with my hands on my arm and he goes through my hand
Tired to teach fetch with a ball bell but he just throws it in air

indie can
Turn around both directions
Flip (Colton rope perch ) as done it on wooden perch but seems to close grip and fly round it
Throws ball into my hand from perch
Recall but hand scared so lands on arm n perch’s I tap
Likes to hide behind curtain and when I say where’s indie gone pops her head out

really good post as I am stuck for more to learn them I thought of the basket ball hoop and colours
Ellaandthebirds on utube as really good videos on teaching tricks

have you got any videos of him doing tricks would love to see
This is a great list, thanks! I haven't tried to get him to spin the other direction yet. Well, I tried once or twice and it got him really confused, so I wanted to let the single direction cement a bit more before trying again. I really like the tunnel idea! Riley and I play a game where I hand him a toy, usually a ball, and he tries to throw it on the floor and I try to catch it. He wins if he tricks me and I don't catch it-- he'll take it and start walking away with it and then toss it back in the opposite direction LOL. If it rolls away he'll go get it sometimes, but he doesn't really think that's a game.

How did you start training the flip?

I'll work on a video-- he normally clams up when he sees a camera, but I can try recording from my computer and see if he will cooperate!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wasn’t sure that was going to work but I followed this video I put millet in front of them then pulled it down so pico would hang upside down once he was use to that I pushed millet back so he had to come round perch then he just flip to get himself up loads of praise n treats when he did it clicked on fast

wave was hardest I started shaking hands first with my finger hooked then slowly moved my finger away then he raised his footsaid wave and treat did take a while wave I did try it like this to start with but pico just bob his head too haha:rofl:

Loads of good tricks on Ellathebirds utube channel and she breaks them down well

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wave gave us trouble for a while because when I wave my hand his natural response was to bob his head. Which is cute but wasn't what I was going for! So I could probably train him to nod yes, too. Recall flight was the first thing we worked on, well I guess after step up.

Thank you! Putting a harness on is good-- we started with that but I think the Aviator I bought is a size too small. It should be right based on his weight but the hole for his head doesn't seem like it could possibly fit. We got as far as sticking his head through one of the other loops to get a treat. Leave it is a really good idea. He's thankfully good with his travel carrier, though still getting used to the backpack I got him for backyard adventures. And as a baby he learned how to use a water bottle (though I don't use one now, it made me too nervous) so he still instinctively licks/drinks from a syringe, straw, etc :yes4: He cooperates with me massaging coconut oil onto his feet once every week or two since they always seem to be dry, but I should try to add in some clipper/file desensitization to that.

That's what my mom really wants to train next! I'm just reluctant to buy something off Amazon since the options seem so sketchy and unsafe. But that's the only place I've found parrot sized toys like that. I tried buying him a shape toy at a kids second and store and it was too bug for him to play with.

This is a great list, thanks! I haven't tried to get him to spin the other direction yet. Well, I tried once or twice and it got him really confused, so I wanted to let the single direction cement a bit more before trying again. I really like the tunnel idea! Riley and I play a game where I hand him a toy, usually a ball, and he tries to throw it on the floor and I try to catch it. He wins if he tricks me and I don't catch it-- he'll take it and start walking away with it and then toss it back in the opposite direction LOL. If it rolls away he'll go get it sometimes, but he doesn't really think that's a game.

How did you start training the flip?

I'll work on a video-- he normally clams up when he sees a camera, but I can try recording from my computer and see if he will cooperate!
haha Pico same I dont know how to post video I do have a few of them doing tricks