• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Favorite Hand-Feeding Formulas?

Mads505

Sitting on the front steps
Hi there! First time poster here, but I've been coming here for advice for a long time.

We currently have an Indian ringneck that we hand raised on Exact. He is doing great, no complaints. But I've heard of people having some problems with exact and that maybe it isn't the best.

I work at a zoo, and of course, we use Mazuri products for most of our species that eat pelleted foods.

I'll be getting three baby green cheek conures in a couple weeks that I'll be hand raising. I'm so excited. I will be keeping one, and the other two will be going on to new homes.

I'm planning to try these guys on the mazuri hand rearing formulas and see how they do, with one on Exact as sort of a control.

I would love to know everyone's thoughts on their favorite formulas and why. I liked the idea of Higgins InTune, but it contains milk products, and my housemate is anaphylactic-level allergic, so that's out of the question.

Thanks guys!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I use exact baby bird formula for feeding my sick adult birds ( when they were very sick ) and they did great gained back weight. Now I use is as a comfort feed here and there so that it's easier if I ever need to give them meds or heath issues.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've heard of people having some problems with exact
I have read the same.

My formula of choice is Nutribird (Versele-laga). It is European so readily available to me, and I have had multiple successful chicks raised on it - no slow crop, no infection, yeast, nothing. Plus it smells quite fruity and nice.

planning to try these guys on the mazuri hand rearing formulas and see how they do
Supposedly it should make their transition to the mazuri pellets easier. I have read that feeding the same formula as pellets makes it easier when it's time to wean. I would love to hear how you get on with that.