• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fatty Liver Disease?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I just got the necropsy back and they’re saying Gus died of fatty liver disease?! I feed him a Kaytee diet which is mostly fruit and vegetables but there are some seeds. How could this happen? Could he have been born diabetic or born with this at all? Was this my fault? I’m freaking out.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
im.so sorry.
He was so young under a year right?
I'd think there has to be a genetic component. Something he was born with.
Not your fault .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you link the Kaytee mix you use? Was that the only thing they ate?

Unfortunately many commercial seed mixes are high in fat which can contribute to fatty liver disease.

Were they clipped? Reduced activity can contribute as well.

That being said, there may be a genetic predisposition to it as well, especially if they are young.

It's hard no matter what, as we will likely never know. Some birds can be fed only seeds and live in a tiny cage their whole life and live for a decade, and others you can feed the "best" and have an aviary and they die at 5.

:sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another thing... I believe some ailments will show an enlarged liver that may be mistaken as fatty liver in a necropsy? I'm trying to remember... Someone else may know better than me.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
im.so sorry.
He was so young under a year right?
I'd think there has to be a genetic component. Something he was born with.
Not your fault .
They said there was a yellow spot on his liver. He was so tiny, I just can’t believe he died of fatty liver disease.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard

Unfortunately many commercial seed mixes are high in fat which can contribute to fatty liver disease.

That being said, there may be a genetic predisposition to it as well, especially if they are young.

It's hard no matter what, as we will likely never know. Some birds can be fed only seeds and live in a tiny cage their whole life and live for a decade, and others you can feed the "best" and have an aviary and they die at 5.

There was one that came in a blue bag and there was another one in a tan bag I got from Target because it said it had carrots in it. I also fed them Nature’s Harvest. All interchangeably since I was told birds like a variety. All three bags had a veterinarian recommendation sticker on them. His wings were not clipped as I personally don’t believe in hindering their flight. He got plenty of exercise, his cage is large. He was very tiny. They said he had a yellow spot on his liver.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Necroposy can be helpful, but many times they are not . Life and death are just to complex sometimes clear answers aent found.
Especially with birds, their tissue breaks down super fast..

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Another thing... I believe some ailments will show an enlarged liver that may be mistaken as fatty liver in a necropsy? I'm trying to remember... Someone else may know better than me.
He didn’t even show any symptoms.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

This is painfully, painfully true - and working in a vet clinic makes it additionally frustrating. You see people who are just doing everything wrong, and their pets are healthy, look great, happy, thriving. People who keep their bearded dragons on sand, people who feed their dogs nothing but table scraps, people who keep their birds on a seed diet…

And then to see the owners who do everything right, regular check ups, best diets, exercise, etc - and they lose their animals to something that seems so random.

It’s not fair, and it’s so frustrating.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
This is painfully, painfully true - and working in a vet clinic makes it additionally frustrating. You see people who are just doing everything wrong, and their pets are healthy, look great, happy, thriving. People who keep their bearded dragons on sand, people who feed their dogs nothing but table scraps, people who keep their birds on a seed diet…

And then to see the owners who do everything right, regular check ups, best diets, exercise, etc - and they lose their animals to something that seems so random.

It’s not fair, and it’s so frustrating.
It is! I just want my baby back!:(

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
No. He probably should have but we didn’t want to stress him out.
Many vets won't do routine blood draws on budgies. My past and current Avian vet don't. But I certainly can't speak for all vets

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
a yellow spot alone without histopatholgy( tissue sent out for diagnostic microscopic exam) or done in house wouldn't be conclusive...

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Many vets won't do routine blood draws on budgies. My past and current Avian vet don't. But I certainly can't speak for all vets
A lot of vets won't do it every appointment, but most (not all, I'm sure) recommend doing it at least once a year to 18 months, just to have a baseline for what things should look like. It gives a good idea of what "normal" should look like.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
A lot of vets won't do it every appointment, but most (not all, I'm sure) recommend doing it at least once a year to 18 months, just to have a baseline for what things should look like. It gives a good idea of what "normal" should look like.
On a budgie? ?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
On a budgie? ?
I can't say specifically on a budgie, now that I'm thinking more on it. I've seen it done for larger parakeets, cockatiels, and larger species... I think the smallest I've seen it done was on an English budgie, but that was also directly requested by the owner. Generally it's optional, just recommended to do occasionally for most species.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I can't say specifically on a budgie, now that I'm thinking more on it. I've seen it done for larger parakeets, cockatiels, and larger species... I think the smallest I've seen it done was on an English budgie, but that was also directly requested by the owner. Generally it's optional, just recommended to do occasionally for most species.
Yeah. Except the ones under 50 grams....it wasn't my experience. Nit just fir routine what's up healthy burds