• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fast Answer... Toasting Squash Seed

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all!

I know there is a thread I need to get to that many have you wrote to me in re: plastic. Been super busy reading birds of beauty site. Every time I begin to respond I get a phone call. So... I have not had time to respond yet, just know I have read your replies. :lol:

I just a need a fast few answers. I do not usually eat squash, or squash like items. Buddy will eat the seeds raw but... He doesn't seem too thrilled with the wet seeds. I just threw out approx. 15 of tthem. I would've made them similar to pumpkin seeds in the oven but am concerned about oiling them! I don't want a bad cholesterol bird. Defeats the majority of new "fresh is best" food prep, I'm doing. So how do I make them?

Also, someone posted roasted squash, Zon's like.

Cooking 101, isn't my strong point. A how too again???

:grouphug2: Rain

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There's no need to oil them, rinse, and roast at 350F for 10 minutes, let cool and enjoy! However, you could roll the roasted goodies in a tiny pit red palm oil before giving them to the feather children.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's no need to oil them, rinse, and roast at 350F for 10 minutes, let cool and enjoy! However, you could roll the roasted goodies in a tiny pit red palm oil before giving them to the feather children.

Thank you!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi again!

They turned out perfect. No oil. Cooked for 5 min. Flipped as many as I could, then about 6 min more. He loved them! Any advice on roasting the squash? Is there a better way to de/un-skin it other then trimming w/parring knife. I'm gonna try to steam a bit tomorrow for him. (Potato peeler maybe?)
My hands have tough time due to pain condition, & I'm trying to keep my fingers. :pinklol2: It's a Acorn Squash, if it matters...

One of the things I need to do more research on is the red palm oil! When I get buddy into the vet, I'll ask their opinion too. I read it can raise birds & parrots cholesterol, & there is some environment issue. The only reasons I had not tried it when Rolanda told me about it a few weeks ago.

:gbh: Rain