• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eye scratch 2 days ago not healing much??

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Ok, so long story short, my green cheek conure had a swelled eye when I got home from a movie 2 days ago. I was a little worried because part of it was bruised but assumed it would be better the next night. Next night, nothing really changed. He still tried to keep his eye shut and was rubbing it on perches, scratching it, etc. I let him rest for one more night and now ( the next day ) he can open it and keeps it open! It feels like a miracle until I got him out for his shower and it was closed again. I can’t tell if there’s more swelling than before, but should I get a vet visit some? My mom was a vet and she said if it’s not serious it should heal on its own. Here’s photos.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
He can still open his eye (and sometimes does) but prefers to keep it closed. My mom thinks it’s a cornea scratch because those can be sensitive to air on people as well.

conureluv

Here’s another photo that shows the swelling more.
image.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree it is probably a scratch or similar. If it were me, I would be getting a vet visit because I wouldn't want an infection to occur.

conureluv

It’s bed time for him and his eye is open.....this is confusing :confused:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well see how he does in the morning :) If he's not better tomorrow you can make a decision then. Everyone has a personal limit of when they want a professional involved for things that *may* resolve on their own. Mine is 48 hours.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My mom was a vet and she said if it’s not serious it should heal on its own.
I won't argue with anyone's mom, especially a former vet, but I will point out the corollary is also true: if it is serious, it won't heal on its own.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Poor baby! I really hope it's nothing too serious and that it heals quickly! I just wanted to add that I scratched my cornea one time, and even though I have a very high pain threshold, I have to say that it was incredibly painful. If you have the means, I would definitely take that little sweetie to the vet.

conureluv

So I’ve been studying him closely today and noticed something. Whenever he’s in his cage or stimulated (actively moving around, eating, etc) he has his eye open. When he’s relaxed (in the shower, out with his momma, etc) his eye is closed. The swelling hasn’t increased or decreased today, and I’m gonna schedule a vet visit.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So I’ve been studying him closely today and noticed something. Whenever he’s in his cage or stimulated (actively moving around, eating, etc) he has his eye open. When he’s relaxed (in the shower, out with his momma, etc) his eye is closed. The swelling hasn’t increased or decreased today, and I’m gonna schedule a vet visit.
Good idea. The sooner you address a problem, the sooner it can be fixed and not develop into something difficult to treat. Likely just some eye ointment and hopefully the cornea isn't scratched.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My guess would be that as a prey animal, pushing through any discomfort is necessary for survival

conureluv

So I’m scheduling his yearly wellness visit; would it be rude to ask about the eye then or should the eye problem be a separate visit?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it should be fine to ask the vet, plus they generally ask about any specific questions u may have anyways

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I’m scheduling his yearly wellness visit; would it be rude to ask about the eye then or should the eye problem be a separate visit?
If I have a specific concern at the time of the wellness check I let them know when I book the appointment in case they need to ready any particular supplies

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Well, my vet is over scheduled so the next time I can get him in is July. His eye is doing so much better today, so I’m not worried.
Ok!