• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expandable Habitats

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Was playing around with the tape measure in my living room and just realized that a couch we have (well, technically a - hmm, I don't know what to call it - it's like a chair and a half - somewhere between a chair and a loveseat) anyway, just realized that this thing is the exact width/depth dimensions of the cage I'm looking to get! That makes me very happy b/c right now it's sitting right where I wanted the cage to be, but thought there wasn't enough room :D
-There's actually a better place for this couch/chair thing that faces the TV better...

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
So right now this is what I'm thinking for the cage -
interior dimensions of: 48 x 30 x ?50/38? (still deciding if I do want a bottom shelf - don't necessarily need it, but could come in handy one day when we move)
Exterior dimensions of width/depth, just a little extra, height would be right around 66" with the acrylic shelf topper like lotus15 has on hers :D love that addition. As far as feeder doors/front doors, etc, I'll just leave them as is, since I've not owned a bird or its cage, I don't really know where my preferences will lie... I do intend to use the King's SS bowls for food/water. What size bowls are the right size for food and water for these guys? I think I did have that down somewhere, but I can't remember anymore. Also, are different sizes used for different foods?

Will also surely be getting some skewers from EH, and perhaps some of the corkscrew shaped ones from MPBT
Also, does anyone have the corkscrew hanger thing that's meant to hang things like food? I believe they had a pic with lettuce in it? I can't remember who sells it anymore, but I was curious about it...

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Not sure the last corkscrew hanger you're referring to? Any skewer can hang food though :)

Dimensions sound GREAT! I ended up going with 1 door on each side. I love 'em.

EH makes a really great HUGE bowl too called the Forever Bowl. I think it'd be a great water bowl for an Ekkie (they're very deep). As for the King's ones, I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 oz for an Ekkie, but 30 oz is a good size too. You can use any size you like for anything you like :)

P.S. the couch!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
What's Expandable Habitats lead time from Order to Delivery?

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
What's Expandable Habitats lead time from Order to Delivery?
Here's what Tricia said in an email I got from her back in November:
"We usually run about a 6 week wait and with shipping time you will probably be safe ordering 2 months before you need the cage. "

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Personally, I would go with the taller cage. I know that conventional wisdom says that the interior height of the cage is not as important as the other dimensions but Howard's cage is 48x24x48" and he uses every inch of it. It sits on top of a 24" cabinet which is nice for storage. With the casters and cabinet his cage is over 6' tall which doesn't leave room for a play top which his old cage had. He did play with toys suspended from the toy hook on his old cage but rarely gets on top of his new cage.

Howard's cage has two 35 oz dishes that fit the holders at either end of in his cage. We use one dish for his cooked food and the other for a toy box. In addition he has a smaller dish ~10 oz that I put his birdie bread, palm nuts or other treats in. I also use it for pellets in if we will be gone from home for most of the day.

FWIW, I would consider a bottle for water. Our vet says that they are more sanitary than water bowls.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Personally, I would go with the taller cage. I know that conventional wisdom says that the interior height of the cage is not as important as the other dimensions but Howard's cage is 48x24x48" and he uses every inch of it. It sits on top of a 24" cabinet which is nice for storage. With the casters and cabinet his cage is over 6' tall which doesn't leave room for a play top which his old cage had. He did play with toys suspended from the toy hook on his old cage but rarely gets on top of his new cage.

Howard's cage has two 35 oz dishes that fit the holders at either end of in his cage. We use one dish for his cooked food and the other for a toy box. In addition he has a smaller dish ~10 oz that I put his birdie bread, palm nuts or other treats in. I also use it for pellets in if we will be gone from home for most of the day.

FWIW, I would consider a bottle for water. Our vet says that they are more sanitary than water bowls.
Thanks! :D Yeah, I think I am leaning toward leaving off the shelf on the bottom, that would make the interior 50" tall on the 66" overall height. This will make it about equal in height to width which seems about right in my mind. There will be a bookshelf near the cage that has room to store some stuff on it. The other stuff that we won't need on a regular basis will be stored in the closet in the dog grooming room. I cannot believe I'm getting this close to ordering a cage. Unfortunately it will sit empty for quite awhile until we get the bird. Oh well, it will be good b/c it will give the dogs tons of time to get used to it being there, and will give me tons of time to play around with "decorating" his/her home before she/he gets here :p --assuming I'm able to get a lot of the toys/perches well before the bird comes home :rolleyes:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Guess who I just got off the phone with :p Hubby called tonight and gave the go ahead for the cage! :dancing:
So I just got done composing and sending a goofy email to Tricia at Expandable Habitats telling her I'm ready to order. I added the specs into the email because I'm over the moon and excited, and I'm sure she'll want to get me on the phone before we put the ball in motion. I added that I didn't need the cage until June (well, I actually said May so I would have a little bit of time to play :rolleyes:), so that will give her some time to work on others' cages before mine if there are others partaking in the awesome sale :D (thinking of you Saemma :hug8:)

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Here's what Tricia said in an email I got from her back in November:
"We usually run about a 6 week wait and with shipping time you will probably be safe ordering 2 months before you need the cage. "
Thanks Erika, I'll leave it simmering away in my head all year.... :lol:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks Erika, I'll leave it simmering away in my head all year.... :lol:
hehe, will look forward to when you can no longer contain it and it bubbles over :p

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
Erika this is SO exciting. Could you post your specs or PM them to me? I want to get Vera a new cage with my tax return money this year too... and it would be helpful if I could see what you ordered :) I know i'm a copy cat!!!!! :lol:

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
Since I've def. decided I'm going to buy a bigger cage for vera i've had my measuring tape out all day comparing her cage to the cages that I look at online- it's so funny to watch her expressions- like Mom- WHAT ARE YOU DOING! hahahaha:lol:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
hehe, will look forward to when you can no longer contain it and it bubbles over :p

:p I cant do anything about it until I get back home in November anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.