• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exo terra 60cm by 45cm by 60cm

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would like to get a new terrarium (see title) at some point in the near future. I would quite like to set it up as a paldarium, so I am really looking for and aboreal reptile or an amphibian.

My question is:
Is there anything that I can keep in a terrarium that size for its entire life as a paldarium set up?

Thank you for any ideas you can give!

Ali

Ps. I am an experience reptile and amphibian keeper and have been doing so for many years, in fact after a hamster and a trio of mice, berber skinks were one of my first pets!!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have already got epidobates tricolour, so ideally I would prefer not to have another batch of them. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the setup will likely be bioactive just in case thar has any affect...

Ali

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
For a paludarium that size you might be able to house something like a trio of firebellied toads or some fire-bellied newts. Vampire crab(s) could be an option as well.
What type of build would you do for the paludarium? False-bottom with built in filter? Canister filter off the side?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For a paludarium that size you might be able to house something like a trio of firebellied toads or some fire-bellied newts. Vampire crab(s) could be an option as well.
What type of build would you do for the paludarium? False-bottom with built in filter? Canister filter off the side?
False bottom with built in filter probably.

@tka thank you, will take a look

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Firebellied toads would do great. Depending on how deep the water is some other larger darts would do good just make sure to stick to darts that don't have aggressive tendencies. If I were you and I didn't have a super deep pond in there I would do Phyllobates terribilis. I def wouldn't do tincs or oophagas since they are known to be super aggressive in groups

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
If you go the dart frog route, you could also cohab with some micro arboreal geckos if you wanted. Mourning geckos and small day geckos are generally the best for that. I also forgot to mention if you wanted some arboreal species day geckos are gorgeous and active during the day. Cresteds and gargoyle geckos are also really nice but you can only have one whereas day geckos can be kept in pairs or groups depending on species and size. Another fav of mine are leaf tail geckos especially satanic leaf tails.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you. The GPF look really cool, so definetly an option.
The water would be about 6-8cm deep

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Are there any other frogs that would do well? I have really enjoyed watching/keeping epidobates tricolour of the last year

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey I have canister filters from previous aquariums, can you use those for a paludarium?
Do you guys have favorite forums you’d recommend? I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. I would have dart frogs in mine.

Reactions: Ali

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey I have canister filters from previous aquariums, can you use those for a paludarium?
Do you guys have favorite forums you’d recommend? I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. I would have dart frogs in mine.
I've used a canister filter for a paludarium build. I found it useful for being able to maintain the filter. The main issue is hiding any tubes, as they have to run from the outside of the tank to the inside. I couldn't hide mine particularly well - so I obscured their view with plants. I also felt I needed canister filtration because I was housing fire-bellied toads which have a pretty big bio-load. I personally love the look of filters that are incorporated into the false bottom, and if I were to have smaller amphibian species I would probably opt for that!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Thank you. The GPF look really cool, so definetly an option.
The water would be about 6-8cm deep
If the water is that depth most darts should be fine. Just make sure there is a slope and/or branches so they can get out if they have to. The main thing is to make sure you don't get an aggressive species like the tincs. The ones done best in groups/pairs are leucs, terribilis, auratus and ranitomeya.

leucs and terribilis are the bolder of the two but I find the auratus and ranitomeya to be prettier. Generally the ranitomeya tends to be arboreal 99% of the time and the leucs tend to go both ways. Terribilis and auratus stay on the ground more often since they are heavier. If you want to cohab micro geckos don't do ranitomeyas since they are much smaller and might get snacked on.

Im not sure how you are doing yours but I HIGHLY recommend doing a custom background with expanding foam so you have locations to put plants on the sides. If you do darts stick with lots of bromeliads they LOVE them plus they can come in lots of different colours. Making custom backgrounds also gives an oppurtunity to hide wires and such.

Check out serpadesign on youtube he has a really cool firebelllied toad paludarium and check out some facebook groups for inspo and advice.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I go on canadart.org and dendroboard

If you need any other advice on darts im happy to give my two cents :)

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you do darts stick with lots of bromeliads they LOVE them plus they can come in lots of different colours. Making custom backgrounds also gives an oppurtunity to hide wires and such.
This is awesome (Sorry Ali I'm kinda hijacking here).... darts + bromeliads. :heart: And making my own backgrounds! yay!

I go on canadart.org and dendroboard

If you need any other advice on darts im happy to give my two cents :)
Thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's kind of like you guys speak a foreign language. I keep having to look things up. Fascinating things.... when I was a kid and had my own bathroom I raised tadpoles in my tub. The original paludarium!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
This is awesome (Sorry Ali I'm kinda hijacking here).... darts + bromeliads. :heart: And making my own backgrounds! yay!

Thank you!
Feel free, it's good to know there are others out there with similar interests so we can help each other out with queries or if we just want to talk about dartfrogs! Here in the UK we have a company called Dartfrog whole sell British-bred frigs, toads, newts and salamanders. They have such a good range. For and English people looking to buy any, definetly work a look at!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Feel free, it's good to know there are others out there with similar interests so we can help each other out with queries or if we just want to talk about dartfrogs! Here in the UK we have a company called Dartfrog whole sell British-bred frigs, toads, newts and salamanders. They have such a good range. For and English people looking to buy any, definetly work a look at!
I feel like once you open the door to exotic animals theres such a cool world to explore. Like about 3/4 years ago I got my first budgie and that opened me up to so many cool things like keeping reptiles/amphibians and looking at the science behind parrots and their behaviours

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If the water is that depth most darts should be fine. Just make sure there is a slope and/or branches so they can get out if they have to. The main thing is to make sure you don't get an aggressive species like the tincs. The ones done best in groups/pairs are leucs, terribilis, auratus and ranitomeya.

leucs and terribilis are the bolder of the two but I find the auratus and ranitomeya to be prettier. Generally the ranitomeya tends to be arboreal 99% of the time and the leucs tend to go both ways. Terribilis and auratus stay on the ground more often since they are heavier. If you want to cohab micro geckos don't do ranitomeyas since they are much smaller and might get snacked on.

Im not sure how you are doing yours but I HIGHLY recommend doing a custom background with expanding foam so you have locations to put plants on the sides. If you do darts stick with lots of bromeliads they LOVE them plus they can come in lots of different colours. Making custom backgrounds also gives an oppurtunity to hide wires and such.

Check out serpadesign on youtube he has a really cool firebelllied toad paludarium and check out some facebook groups for inspo and advice.
Do any of these species need UVA/B as my current epidobates tricolour do not (I have an led light and a heat pad.