• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excessive beak sctratching

Eleanor J

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eleanor Jinks
My Amazon has been scratching his beak on his perches all day today, maybe every few minutes. He does not normally do it this much.
Could a new layer be flaking off? Is that how their beaks grow? I thought maybe it could be a territorial thing but he hasn't seemed paticularly territorial in other behaviours.
Any idea what it could be?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How is his poop? Is he as active as normal? Is he eating well? Are there any signs of depression? If you can answer "NO" to all of these questions your bird is probably fine healthwise, but if the answer is yes to any of the questions you need to be very aware that there may be a health problem. If so he need to see a vet.

Eleanor J

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eleanor Jinks
Thank you for replying.
He seems to be okay, poop normal, though maybe less than usual? Eating well. Climbing and flying as usual. I'm not sure of the signs of depression in birds, maybe I should google it.
I think he has just been scratching more today so I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Not sure where you live but with winter and running the heat he could be dry. Extra bathes/misting and humidity may help out

Eleanor J

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eleanor Jinks
I live in England, it's a bit chilly here so we have the fire on a lot. Maybe that could be drying him out?

Wolf

Jogging around the block
As far as I know all forms of heat has the tendency to dry things out and you normally need to add humidity back into the air.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Get a cheap hygrometer at the hardware store and see just what the level of humidity is in your home. Ideally parrots like/need in the 50% or higher range.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Also, anything burning in the room is really not healthy for them. It's not only the fumes, it's also that it consumes the oxygen and birds need real 'good' air.