• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Everyone should get a baby monitor if...

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
OMG I would never sleep, light sleeper no the less, Ella talks in her sleep. :huh: On the weekend if I am not working I sleep on the couch, makes Brut happy have done it for years, but I wake up alot because Ella is having great conversations. :facepalm:

Brut lets me know if Daisy falls, she sometimes falls off her perch in the nite, he goes to my bedroom door and does a low woof thing during the week. I know there is an issue, I get up and check on her, she is usually climbing back up to go back to sleep when I check on her, he is my watch of all in the house.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
your birds are not in your bedroom.
I was actually looking at the iBaby audio and air quality monitor earlier today and wondering if anyone on AA had any experience with it.

Also what about a webcam to check in on your smartphone when you're not home? Any recommendations?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I was actually looking at the iBaby audio and air quality monitor earlier today and wondering if anyone on AA had any experience with it.

Also what about a webcam to check in on your smartphone when you're not home? Any recommendations?

Nestcam is the best! I have five potato chips lol

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Nestcam is the best! I have five potato chips lol
The Nestcam looks great but the price scares me. Ive looked at some of the cheaper ones on Amazon that have gotten good reviews, but from companies without a presence on the internet which I find suspect... Not that I think everyone wants to just watch my two birds hang out all day, but i have all sorts of paranoia when it comes to downloading apps on my phone from random companies... :scared5:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Lady Jane - I've heard mine chirp in the night occasionally also! I have wondered the very same thing - are they dreaming?
@EllaMay I used to think I was a light sleeper. When the new, larger cage came, I had to tune out the echo of the activity on the bars... it sounded SO loud!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The Nestcam looks great but the price scares me. Ive looked at some of the cheaper ones on Amazon that have gotten good reviews, but from companies without a presence on the internet which I find suspect... Not that I think everyone wants to just watch my two birds hang out all day, but i have all sorts of paranoia when it comes to downloading apps on my phone from random companies... :scared5:
I had a different one that worked for a while. It quit and I got the picture back but then the app didn't work.

I love my nestcam. Hubby bought me a second one for Christmas.

The cost is more but hooking that baby up was easy. The alerts are awesome..... movement OR sees people!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hubs would boot me. Cheekies talk in their sleep and those in multiples (they sleep in a huddle on the side of the cage) will shift around sometimes and a quarrel will ensue for a minute or two while the group resituates. Amada yells off and on throughout the night. And then myself, I am a cranky pants person without solid sleep.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Was thinking about getting a monitor once my aviary is installed next week. Sounds like Nestcam is at the top of the list so far!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Was just researching the Nest Cam, and saw that you need to buy a storage package per year. Looks pricey.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Was just researching the Nest Cam, and saw that you need to buy a storage package per year. Looks pricey.
You don’t have to, but then your notifications only have a life of 3 hours. I.e.video is only stored for three hours. I have the subscription for all my five nestcams because I can go back and review any unusual movements in the cage or visits by raccoons during the night. During the day I only have them on when I’m out of the house. They are on all night. Great infra red.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
While it may seem that way, I'm like @saroj12 I like the ability to go back and see what happened while I was away. I would prefer a cheaper model but frankly, I'm not a computer whiz and by the time I find someone that can do all this magical stuff, it would cost more than the nest cam and one little power failure would boot it all over again.

I'm getting to the age of "can't take it with me" and truly appreciating ease of installation.

I'm also blessed to have a wonderful video clip of my in-laws sneaking in my house to leave a birthday bouquet for me.....thank you Nest Cam!

It was pretty cool to be able to go watch the flooring install in my kitchen. Hubby was somewhere in the house but he forgot to disconnect the camera.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So each nest cam requires a storage plan?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So each nest cam requires a storage plan?
was $100 for the first one, $50 for additional. I just renewed my subscription for $300 for five nestcams.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
was $100 for the first one, $50 for additional. I just renewed my subscription for $300 for five nestcams.
I'm operating the second one off the 30 day free. Had no idea I'd get a discount on the second. Woo hoo!!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Where's the I WANT EVERYTHING smiley icon? Since joining this AA forum, I've gotten very expensive taste -- and all for my birdos! :birdance:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a nestcam, but at night I'm using the best = Me!
I sleep with the door parts open and they sleep in the room next to my bedroom.
I'm also a light sleeper. (and that helps a lot)
When some of them (or both) are having a night fright it takes me just some seconds to be with them.
I never regret that I'm doing this, and if it wasn't for that, I would never had a chance to say goodbye to Eloy when he died.
In some way, we should always monitor them at night.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Puck talks as she sleeps, and I can hear her without a baby monitor. I can turn on the camera, but I usually don't. I think I hear them if they are truly startled.

I have three different D-link cameras. One is stationary (my oldest one in garage). The other two are in bird room. The two in birdroom are pan and zoom kind. One is HD; other is not. I like the HD Pan and zoom one the best. Amazon.com: D-Link DCS-5222L HD Pan & Tilt Wi-Fi Camera White (Certified Refurbished): Cell Phones & Accessories

I cannot talk to my birds; it does not record like nest cam, but I can check on them from anywhere as long as I have internet access. I check on them from work or when I am out of town. It is nice to check on them while at work to see what they are up to.