• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Euthanasia method for fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Not sure if this thread has in fact, ever been made, but just in case, I'm going to lend a helping hand in this area. Also! Please only use this method if any/all other options have already been tried, fish with ick and other minor illness *can* be treated. This information should only be used once you know nothing can be done to help the fish.

Most people who have fish own them for various reasons, mostly, it's a calming hobby, and people like to watch these beautiful creatures swim around their tanks gracefully.

While there are helpful medications to treat certain illness like ick or fungus, sometimes, help either comes too late, the fish is too far gone and or is suffering, no longer swimming, on it's side still breathing, and you know he/she is waiting to die. It can be painful and sad to watch, so in this thread, I'm going to tell you how you can peacefully and painlessly send your aquatic friends to the big fish tank in the sky.

Step 1 - First, you need to acquire clove oil, it normally comes in a small bottle, and you can find it at your local health food stores, if you're worried you won't be able to find it anywhere where you live, you can order it online, just in case in the future, you need it.

Step 2 - fill a spare container large enough to fit the fish comfortably, with water from your tank the fish was originally in.

Step 3 - At this point, you're going to want to add your clove oil, in an empty water bottle, or a jar with a lid, add little of the tank water to your bottle/jar, now depending on the size of your fish, you will add 10-20+ drops (more if you'd like, if you have a huge fish like an African cichlid) and shake the clove oil and water together, it may not mix easily at first, but after a few minutes the water will change colours and the two will be combined.

Step 4- Pour the mixture into your holding container and give it a light stir to combine.

Step 5 - Now it's time to get your fish, gently remove your sick, dying fish from the home tank and place into water/oil mix, at first, your fish may react, that's normal, they have noticed something in the water, they will calm down, if they aren't already, they will flip onto their side, gill motions will slow, and eventually stop all together. Once the gill motions have stopped, leave them there just for a few minutes.

Step 6- Once you're sure your fish has passed, you can now remove them from the container and place them in a small biodegradable bag and bury them, or you may choose to flush them.

Step 7 - Clean out your container.

This method of euthanasia is used by many, many people, vets use it to sedate large fish in surgery, This method is painless and usually quick, unlike freezing the fish to death or flushing live fish.

Please remember it's your responsibility to make sure your pets do not suffer in their time of need, and euthanasia is much kinder than a slow death.

Make sure you put enough clove oil to euthanize your fish, done properly, the ordeal is over in less than 5 minutes. I myself have used this to put down Guppies and Betta, and also at the pet store where I work part time.

Lastly, I just want to say to anyone who must use this method, that I give my condolences <3 it's always sad to loose a pet.

Last edited:

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
Hi, interesting, I've never heard of this. How does this kill them? And how is it painless?

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Basically it's like an anesthetic overdose, the fish "goes to sleep" and doesn't wake up. Vets use it to operate on large fish, it keeps them calm and not swimming all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.