• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eucalyptus Wood

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Hi everyone, so I’m planning on making a few perches out of wood on our farm (never had pesticides) I live in Australia and so we have lots of eucalyptus trees here and I have seen some really good branches, I was wondering if it was safe?

I’m assuming so as all the wild birds spend most of their time on them and I know of a few people who feed their birds leaves from the tree just want to make sure and I can’t find anything about these trees on safe and unsafe lists.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd say it'll be fine for native birds like Budgies and Cockatiels. It would be something very hard for, as an example, an African Grey to digest.
So anything that eats it in the wild yes, anything else hold off for more info.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My boy loves eucalyptus branches and so do I! They smell so good and when they chew them up they smell even better lol. He loves gum nuts and leaves of all sorts too.
I have read that some of the red gums you have to be careful with, like some fruit tree branches, they have tannins or something in them that could be a problem.
Bottle brush branches with all the bark left on (and leaves, nuts or flowers if there are any and you have the room) are a winner in my house too!
Hope this helps :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Eucalyptus branches are safe as long as there has been no pesticides used on the tree.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Thanks! So native species yes but non native no ?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks! So native species yes but non native no ?
Hopefully someone will post you some links to more specific information on which woods are and aren’t ok and why.
I tend to stick with using the few I’ve already identified as safe. For some reason I can’t always find the safe and non safe lists and I keep meaning to start up my own because so many sites miss some trees out etc.
Not all of our natives are on the safe list so you will need to check for the particular sort you have in mind. Sorry I can’t be if much help. Also, a lot of non natives are perfectly safe...another thing you’ll have to research for each tree you have in mind.
Have fun :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Thanks :bounce4:I’m guessing it’s ok to use eucalyptus as perches and only worry if I get a non native bird that starts chewing the wood.
Hopefully someone will post you some links to more specific information on which woods are and aren’t ok and why.
I tend to stick with using the few I’ve already identified as safe. For some reason I can’t always find the safe and non safe lists and I keep meaning to start up my own because so many sites miss some trees out etc.
Not all of our natives are on the safe list so you will need to check for the particular sort you have in mind. Sorry I can’t be if much help. Also, a lot of non natives are perfectly safe...another thing you’ll have to research for each tree you have in mind.
Have fun :)
[/QUOTE

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Would have thought it was fine for any bird. You buy natural perches made from eucalyptus all over the place here.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks :bounce4:I’m guessing it’s ok to use eucalyptus as perches and only worry if I get a non native bird that starts chewing the wood.
My bird is not native to Australia but he loves our native safe woods, nuts, flowers and leaves.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks I’m glad it’s safe for all birds,native or not! I’m such a worrier :banghead:
That is good news. I was never sure about eucalyptus but now we know. Great thread ;)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So happy to be of some help.
Happy perch making.

I made a few this morning and just got back from Bunnings with some more temporary hardware (not all SS) till I can order some more online.

I love making perches for Burt....my imagination goes crazy and he has had some really fun and crazy home made perches.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I use trees from the bush behind mine. I am lucky and my yard is pushed up against a conservation zone. I also use lots of leaves and bark. The birds love shredding it all up. Don't use mango or wattle. There are two views I have heard on wattle, so I play it safe and avoid using it.

Here are a few resources for you :)

safeplants
WILDFOOD FOR YOUR BIRDS » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast
Bird Safe Food and Plants — Queenslander Aviaries
Cockatiel Nutrition (Safe Plants)

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
So happy to be of some help.
Happy perch making.

I made a few this morning and just got back from Bunnings with some more temporary hardware (not all SS) till I can order some more online.

I love making perches for Burt....my imagination goes crazy and he has had some really fun and crazy home made perches.
Hey, do they have those screws you use for the perches at Bunnings? I haven’t checked yet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I had been using SS threaded rod but finally the Bunnings I use got in some hanger bolts...... unfortunately they are not in stainless steel.
I will be ordering a box of them in SS from the supplier as we looked them up and they do make them in SS.
I bought some of the ones they had (zinc plated I think) to try (I just love them!!!) but will replace them all very very soon.

Best check with your local Bunnings as they don’t all stock the exact same stuff but will get it in from another store if asked to.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I love Bunnings :laugh::dance4:
Me too lol.....I’m pretty sure they love me back with how much I spend when I go there. It’s one of them places I have to try to avoid. Hahaha I never really can pass there without thinking of something I need/want.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Yeah same :hehe: you go there to get one or two small things and you come home with a fire place, barbecue and some new chairs :lol: