• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oils

alnoble89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
So I am going to try essential oils and my questions are. Have any of you tried them? Are they safe to use around the fids? Did the work for you? Do you have advice? Would you recommend them? Plus any info or stories you would like to share. I have a list of one's not to use around birds but please feel free to add. I also don't plan on diffusing anywhere near them.

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
I use doTerra essential oils for everything, and I mean everything, from cleaning and cooking to treating just about any ailment that arrises in our household. I only use this brand because of it's true 100% purity. It is CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) EO, meaning it goes through extensive testing to prove it's purity. EOs are not regulated by the FDA, so anyone can claim they are 100% pure as long as they do/pass 3 tests, which means they can still contain pesticides, weeds, and other contanimants. This is why many people are sensitive to EOs and have allergic reactions, and the oils cannot be ingested. DoTerra is the only company to do/pass 5 or 6 (I forget which), and most of their oils are ingestible. They are simply amazing. I can't say enough good things about them, and I don't even sell them! I do not, however, give them to my birds (not to say you can't, but IDK), but I clean with them around the fids and spray the air. We don't use any chemicals, including air fresheners in our house. We only use homemade, all natural cleaners. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bigbeaklvr

Moving in
I use Young Living essential oils. IMO Young Living and doTerra are the only ones that are of food grade quality out there. Like Fid Fanatic I have used them for years for everything from cleaning to diffusing for allergies. I do not diffuse them around my birds though. The Theives cleaner from Young Living is one of the things I have found that will cut through cement hardened bird poo LOL. Smells fantastic too!