• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ernie's repeats....

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Went back to the vet this afternoon. Monocytes and all others are back to normal!! Yay! He has been on ACV in his water for weeks and I have doubled the amount of ginger in his chop for the last week. Thank goodness it worked!

He also got his scissor beak trimmed and shaped up so he can hopefully keep it down with normal beak grinding and chewing. I will post a picture of his new beak later. He is resting and traumatized right now. 20170217_145448.jpg

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Question. Never having to have a beak trimmed before, is it normal for them to not eat? He won't touch his dinner, which I specifically took out any larger chunks from and only left him the finely chopped things to eat. I figured it would be sensitive, but not this much. He is not using his beak to climb either. He IS asking for his beak rubs though. Closing his eyes and thoroughly giving in to the rubs. My poor little hormonal Ernie Bernie Bird.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Bump

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Ernie doing now? Hope that he is eating again and back to his normal self.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For what I have heard they can be very sensitive in their beaks after a trim, so give him formula or baby food if he will eat it.
Thank goodness it worked!
And to that I say:
:yah::Congratwav:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
He is doing better. I can be such a worry wart sometimes. As I was ready to put him to bed, he decided he was hungry. I let him stay up and eat. Nothing stopping him now. I cannot say he is back to normal, as those darn hormones are kicking his butt.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Not a Poi but my bronze wing Pionus doesnt want to eat for a few days after a beak trim, I have to give him the same soaked pellets he was weaned on and he will eat those

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not a Poi but my bronze wing Pionus doesnt want to eat for a few days after a beak trim, I have to give him the same soaked pellets he was weaned on and he will eat those

Do pionus/bronze wing seem to need beak trims? I've seen quite a few with longer beaks. Is that a diet thing or hereditary or a species trait?

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My dear Adam who crossed the rainbow bridge recently had a scissor beak from the time I got him plus he had FLD so his beak would grow very fast and he also had yeast infections in his beak. Chante is a little over 5 and this was only the second time he had anything done to his beak, he does not like to chew on hard woods but will demolish in shell almonds and balsa at a phenomenal rate. My Dusky Nick has not needed any trims in the 2 years I have had him