• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ernie's first Vet Visit

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Took Ernie in for his first Vet visit. He did great and charmed them all with his very social self. His fecal was GREAT, no parasites, levels were good. She was impressed with the growth of his butchered flight feathers and thinks he will still learn to fly when they all grow out, even at his age! He is a little chubby, but with his changed diet and the extra room he has, she thinks he will slim down over time. Just waiting on the rest of the labs to come in over the next week and then (hopefully) formally introduce Ernie to Rhoma and Rhema by integrating them all into the same room.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So happy that the vet visit went so well! :marlenesmile:
She was impressed with the growth of his butchered flight feathers and thinks he will still learn to fly when they all grow out, even at his age!
You will smile when he starts to fly, Pois are excellent fliers. If you can say that some birds have skills in flying, it will be Pois.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
So happy that the vet visit went so well! :marlenesmile:

You will smile when he starts to fly, Pois are excellent fliers. If you can say that some birds have skills in flying, it will be Pois.
I am excited to see him do it! He is 12 to 15 years old and has never flown, so I figured he was too old to learn. He WANTS to and will ride our shoulders, head down and flapping when we walk through the house. He has tried to jump from the cage to our shoulders, but misses every time and goes straight to the floor. Excited to see what the next molt will bring for this sweet baby!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Does he have a bit of a sissor beak?
What did the vet say.

Hopefully his blood panel comes back OK as I guess they fed him just seeds?

Glad he's trying to fly...poor guy spent 6 years in a small parakeet cage so he probably didn't even get to stretch his wings.

Feathers will probably molt in the summer. Maybe if he's lucky sooner. I wonder if you can try to artificially induce that with heat & light changes?

Did they clip him? Did he ever get out of his cage?

So happy for him!!!

:heart::fairy2:

Pied

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I hope he tries flying when he can. Kylo was not very good at flying when he came to me around June last year. Now he's still not great but so much better than he was. Plus I think he flies because he is starting to like it, not from being scared.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad his visit went well. He's so cute :heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Does he have a bit of a sissor beak?
What did the vet say.

Hopefully his blood panel comes back OK as I guess they fed him just seeds?

Glad he's trying to fly...poor guy spent 6 years in a small parakeet cage so he probably didn't even get to stretch his wings.

Feathers will probably molt in the summer. Maybe if he's lucky sooner. I wonder if you can try to artificially induce that with heat & light changes?

Did they clip him? Did he ever get out of his cage?

So happy for him!!!

:heart::fairy2:
Vet thinks the beak is due to the scissor beak and being unable to grind that side well. It broke off when they were taking his blood and he chomped down on one of them. LoL! Because it broke off, it kept the Tech from getting a fresh battle scar, though. She said after the chlamydia test comes back negative, she will show me how to grind/file it down.

They did leave the cage open most of the time, but it was just so small and I think he was bored and chewed the feathers for something to do or maybe because they were constantly messed up from hitting the sides of the cage. He had mostly plastic toys to climb on, only one wood toy, and one cotton and straw toy.

I do have a UV lamp in his room above his cage that I turn on a few hours every evening. Spring cannot come fast enough!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very good that his vet appt. went well.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I kept Joey's wings clipped for a long time. The place I'm living in now is safe, so he started growing his wings out about three years ago. It took him a while to try flying. He kept getting better at it. He still mostly flies to me or to his cage. I'm glad I did it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Vet thinks the beak is due to the scissor beak and being unable to grind that side well. It broke off when they were taking his blood and he chomped down on one of them. LoL! Because it broke off, it kept the Tech from getting a fresh battle scar, though. She said after the chlamydia test comes back negative, she will show me how to grind/file it down.

They did leave the cage open most of the time, but it was just so small and I think he was bored and chewed the feathers for something to do or maybe because they were constantly messed up from hitting the sides of the cage. He had mostly plastic toys to climb on, only one wood toy, and one cotton and straw toy.

I do have a UV lamp in his room above his cage that I turn on a few hours every evening. Spring cannot come fast enough!

I was reading sissor beak comes from improper beak condition in the chick & from handfeeding from one side of the beak.
Never knew that. Says sissor beak is very rare in the wild or from parent fed chicks...

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Can someone help me interpret, please? We are still waiting on a few results, but the WBC came back pretty elevated.

Normal monocyte level is about 3%, he is at 4%. She explained that normal WBC is @ 14,000 with a monocyte absolute of 0.28, whereas Ernie's is at 20,000 with 0.80 absolute. She wants to wait for the rest of the results to decide how to treat. Says it could simply be his body trying to expel some unhealthy junky elements from his prior home (I think they smoked in the house, the cage was, well, it belonged in the trash several years ago, they allowed him to eat from their mouths and eat junk food) or it can be an infection.

I am worried! Please help me interpret this information.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
3 % to 4% does not sound too elevated but guess if he has 20K & norm is 14K its elevated but eating from mouths with human bacteria is not that smart. Good you had him checked & its not off too much & I guess they will give an rx if she thinks it warranted. Really don;t want to just dish out antibiotics for nothing. Did she say if some apple cider vin raw in water would help?
Guess this is the first time he's been to the vet in least 6 years?

I an no expert so I hope someone comes alog who can help more.
Hope its nothing or easily treated

Last edited:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
3 % to 4% does not sound too elevated but guess if he has 20K & norm is 14K its elevated but eating from mouths with human bacteria is not that smart. Good you had him checked & its not off & if he needs I guess they will give an rx if she thinks it warranted. Really don;t want to just dish out antibiotics for nothing. Did she say if some apple cider vin raw in water would help?
Guess this is the first time he's been to the vet in least 6 years?

I an no expert so I hope someone comes alog who can help more.
Hope its nothing or easily treated
It is the first time in at least 9 years he has been to a vet. I have some ACV in the pantry, I think I will start him on some until we get the rest of the results. I think I will put all three on it for the time being. Good idea and thank you for suggesting it! If nothing else it is good for reducing gram negative.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Results are in........no chlamydia!! :birdance::DancingChilli::birdance: Dr. R liked that I had already started him on ACV, says the monocytes are the "flushers and filters" of the system and thinks he may be flushing out a lot of junk from his system. She wants to recheck him on the 17th to see if numbers have improved.

Thinks it would be a good idea to keep him and the Twin Terrors in separate rooms until we know that there has been an improvement. I am okay with that. It gives me more time to plan/clear/paint their new bird room! Going to convert the room the pool table is in to the bird room. My oldest son is coming to get the pool table for his place. I lose a laundry table in the process, but they get one entire wall of windows for all three of them to enjoy. I can fold laundry on the couch. :laundry:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:yes4: I'm glad Ernie doesn't have chlamydia :)
Thank you! I was very worried about it! Increased urine output and increased monocyte levels are some of the signs of it. Vet wouldn't outright say it, but she knew that I knew. We had a huge weight lifted today and can breathe a little easier! Here's to a long, healthy life, and happy fids! :patrelax: