• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English budgie/American budgie cross?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@AussieBird I really dislike what breeders/people have done to our pretty little bush budgies with all this selective breeding to make what I see as less healthy or less visually pleasing birds- I honestly have trouble feeling happy when I see budgies that do not look how nature made them, they make me want to cry.
I understand that :bluhug:
I've actually decided when I'm ready to get more budgies, unless some rehomes I really would like come up, I'm going to be looking for a Bush budgie breeder. And will get a pair of hopefully healthier, longer lived, beautiful budgies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So whoever wrote the linked article was wrong. Not the first time for incorrect info on the web.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
@AussieBird I really dislike what breeders/people have done to our pretty little bush budgies with all this selective breeding to make what I see as less healthy or less visually pleasing birds- I honestly have trouble feeling happy when I see budgies that do not look how nature made them, they make me want to cry.
This. 1000%

Vic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vic
I was just googling and randomly found out about Japanese budgies and they are bred to have these unusual flower looking feathers on their back. :confused: Doesnt look aerodynamic at all. Poor birds

View attachment 435942
They are called helicopters I have 2 and 8 others of different colours, I have only had them since September but they seem to be ok.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I honestly have trouble feeling happy when I see budgies that do not look how nature made them, they make me want to cry.
Yes, me too.
As with dogs and cats that humans have "selectively" bred and now they can't breathe right, walk right, and other horrible defects just because some breeder wanted to capitalize on some feature to make more money. :(

Cal

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Carole Sanders
I’ve had both English’ and normal breed budgies for many years. Freddie who I have now is normal size. My budgie I had before him was an English type. Personally I prefer the bigger size, but I have to admit they don’t tend to live as long as the normal types. Joe was 8yrs 3 months old when he died. Completely active and eating well, but died in the night He was a sweetheart and talked wonderfully well. Freddie is still young and is already finger trained and coming over to listen to me teach him his name. Be it normal style or English style, they all have unique personalities and the ability to love and be loved. I couldn’t cope without having a feathered friend in the home.

Attachments

little1133

Moving in
Real Name
Lora
No idea whether yours is one, but these crosses are a thing. I have seen American crossed with English budgies