1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging movement and working on confidence

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by Brittany0208, 9/27/18.

1. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Brittany
    Going to try that now. :fairy2:

TikiMyn likes this.
  2. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    I've mentioned this before. Toys are just stuff. They have no real value. YOU are the best toy going and the only toy with real value. Interaction.

Hankmacaw, TikiMyn and Brittany0208 like this.
  3. Brittany0208

Brittany
    So, how do I go about interacting with him in a playful manner? We frequently scream together, and I'm always talking to him, but I take it you mean physical interaction. Can you offer any suggestions on this? Do I remove him from the cage to play or . . . I'm drawing a blank.

TikiMyn likes this.
  4. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Robin
    I like that idea:) Java is a really though case but I am sure in a few months you Will see a different bird:)

finchly and Brittany0208 like this.
  5. Brittany0208

Brittany
    Yeah, I never considered just how challenging it would be for him, but I'm glad to be learning along with him. We've come such a long way in only a few months. I may get ahead of myself sometimes by trying to provide as much enrichment as possible. My brain never shuts down.

finchly likes this.
  6. TikiMyn

Robin
    Try Reading with him:) I lay on the floor with Some foot toys and read to them while they run over the pages and the like, toss Some toys etc. With Java you could sit/lay somewhere with him, hold a toy kn front of him and read animated to him. That is what I did with henkie in the beginning. Or try rolling a ball his way? Maybe he Will like to roll it back and forth between the two of you?

finchly and Brittany0208 like this.
  7. TikiMyn

Robin
    I totally understand! Tiki and Henkie would not play, it is the most frustrating thing to want to make them happy but them only apathetically sitting in a corner:( But with time both of them came around and I am sure Java Will too!:hug8: Irene Pepperberg used her assistent to train Alex, the two of them would perform an action that they would like Alex to do(like Irene asking what color? And showing an object, And the assistent saying ‘green’) perhaps you playing with bird toys together with your sister or grandmother Will help?

Brittany0208 likes this.
  8. Brittany0208

Brittany
    I like this idea. Since he's so jealous of anyone talking to me, I know he'll watch my every move if I'm playing with his toys with someone else. Maybe he'll want to join in too

TikiMyn likes this.
  9. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

You're already doing it. It does not have to be physical at all.

TikiMyn, Hankmacaw and Brittany0208 like this.
  10. Brittany0208

Brittany
    Oh! Awesome! Thank you :hug8:

TikiMyn likes this.
  11. Brittany0208

Brittany
    Update:

Java is still sedentary, and I'm a little confused about how to encourage him to move around. Setting him on my bed, the floor, my desk, recliner, or lap, he just sits there. He'll sit there and chirp pitifully, and I really want him to start getting some exercise. I'm not sure how to encourage movement. I've made some alterations to his cage so he would have more room to explore, which he hasn't done yet, but I'm hoping he will with time.
    It can't be healthy for him to just sit in one spot day in and day out, yet he does, so I'm looking to change that.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)