• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emma will remain fully flighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:)Emma is fully flighted. During Emma's escape my mind raced around a lot and went through continuous anguish. :(
I kept questioning my decision about having allowed her to stay fully flighted, Not because I thought it would prevent her from escaping, but more because I wanted to prevent her from having so much lift and going too far. At one point, I was feeling so discouraged that I told myself that if I ever had the chance to see Emma again, I would resort to having her feathers trimmed. That would have been a VERY bad decision
Now that she is home, it is quite clear in my mind that being FULLY Flighted permitted Emma to survive the outdoors and the unknown. I believe being fully flighted allowed her to seek suitable shelter to sleep as well as the ability to escape from any dangerous situation. I have no intention of ever clipping Emma. She seems well, unharmed and even untraumatized by her 2 day trip. I am pretty proud of her for taking care of herself when she was alone in the world.
She did not escape because she is fully flighted, she escaped because of my carelessness.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You are such a great Mom. It takes SO MUCH more effort to have a flighted bird, but it's so worth it when you see just how happy they are.

Ginger

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Wise decision.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

She did not escape because she is fully flighted, she escaped because of my carelessness.[/QUOTE]

Very well said! I have been wondering if this would be your decision; very glad that Emma will remian flighted. How is the adventurous Emma today?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very well said dear...

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are a great parront saemma

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Im sure this decision will make Emma very happy!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

Now that she is home, it is quite clear in my mind that being FULLY Clipped permitted Emma to survive the outdoors and the unknown.
I think you meant fully flighted there ;)

So happy you are letting Emma keep her flight feathers!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She did not escape because she is fully flighted, she escaped because of my carelessness.

Very well said! I have been wondering if this would be your decision; very glad that Emma will remian flighted. How is the adventurous Emma today?

[/QUOTE]

She's great Doris, I forgot to mention that when I picked her up I grabbed a bag of Avian Organics Mayan Crunch for her. When I offered those to her in the car she ate them as if they were the best food on earth.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you meant fully flighted there ;)

So happy you are letting Emma keep her flight feathers!
Thanks for the correction.:) I edited my post.:hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people loose a parrot because it flies out of a door, then they are all of a sudden pro-clip, believing that clipping a parrot will prevent an escape... even clipped parrots get lost, and far too many people have blind faith that a cilpped parrot wont be able to take off. Supposedly, some survey somewhere in the world indicated that it was about on par on flighted birds vs clipped birds getting loose. At least a flighted parrot may have a better chance at evading dangers such as ground and air predators as well as cars (having said that, I know that plenty of birds still get hit by vehicles... even recall trained birds...)

I'm glad you have decided to keep Emma flighted, and perhaps you'll work on some recall with her? You may get quite a bit of help from Carbon since he's gone through the same thing although at first he decided to clip Nara but now has her flight recall trained.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Through your anguish I have thought the same thing about mine and have also come to the same conclusion. I do believe I am going to amp up my recall training, not to use it out doors but to get some manners in doors and to possibly help if they do get out.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Good choice! I'm sure that you will both be happier - I'm still rejoicing in her return!:starshower:

pineview01

:)Emma is fully flighted. During Emma's escape my mind raced around a lot and went through continuous anguish. :(
I kept questioning my decision about having allowed her to stay fully flighted, Not because I thought it would prevent her from escaping, but more because I wanted to prevent her from having so much lift and going too far. At one point, I was feeling so discouraged that I told myself that if I ever had the chance to see Emma again, I would resort to having her feathers trimmed. That would have been a VERY bad decision
Now that she is home, it is quite clear in my mind that being FULLY Flighted permitted Emma to survive the outdoors and the unknown. I believe being fully flighted allowed her to seek suitable shelter to sleep as well as the ability to escape from any dangerous situation. I have no intention of ever clipping Emma. She seems well, unharmed and even untraumatized by her 2 day trip. I am pretty proud of her for taking care of herself when she was alone in the world.
You've made a great decision. When Sky, my B&G, took a trip on the wild side, I made the wrong choice. Out of fear I took him stright to the AAV who clipped him. She "tisked" me for having him flighted. Now I have to fight to keep him flighted but, I feel it is best for him.

Oh, I forgot to add Sky still had a slight clip when he flew the coup!

Last edited:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
As you say - a bird does not escape because it's flighted or not, it escapes because we, the caregivers, get careless in our duty. That happens regardless of whether the bird is clipped or not.

IMO a flighted bird bird has a better chance of recovery, and also a lesser chance of flying away in the first place, because it is confident in it's abilities and is less prone to fright/shock. I always take my bird outside, around the house, as it enables him to get orientated to his surroundings. Much in the same way that aviary birds rarely go far from their aviaries if they escape - they know where their home, food and feathered friends are in relation to everything around them.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I think you made the right decision for Emma! :hug8:

As you say - a bird does not escape because it's flighted or not, it escapes because we, the caregivers, get careless in our duty. That happens regardless of whether the bird is clipped or not.

IMO a flighted bird bird has a better chance of recovery, and also a lesser chance of flying away in the first place, because it is confident in it's abilities and is less prone to fright/shock. I always take my bird outside, around the house, as it enables him to get orientated to his surroundings. Much in the same way that aviary birds rarely go far from their aviaries if they escape - they know where their home, food and feathered friends are in relation to everything around them.
I completely agree with you. Well said. :)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
:dancing: Yaaaaa- Very well said. :dance4::dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I was so tortured by Emma's escape, that I admit I thought of clipping Rocky and Koko---but I won't, they're too happy and I don't want to take that away from them. But boy oh boy will I ever be even more diligent and careful with them now :hug8: I do not ever want to go through what you two endured.

Status
Not open for further replies.