• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Emergency

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Hi I purchased two female budgies yesterday one is white and the other is yellow. The yellow budgie is 2.5 months old and lacks flight and tail feathers. What should I Do Should I return her or can she breed and stay healthy always.
She has short wing feathers and her tail feathers are like a lovebird's tail.
She can't fly.
Please help

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Were her wings clipped? A picture might help. Her tail probably got broken because she’s young and clumsy. When she molts her feathers should grow back, but this can take quite a while. She will still be a happy, healthy bird, unless she has other health issues. I strongly suggest you don’t breed your birds, because a lot can go wrong and you need to be very experienced.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I didnt clip her wings I bought her two days ago. She eats very less. Maybe she is not used to the cage and doesn't know where her food is. After eating she sleeps

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I cannot afford a vet now if anyone can ask the vet and tell me a medicine I will really will be glad. Can I know what happened to her. I am really worried. When she molts will she grow good feathers? Will she have a tail? She doesn't chirp much too. When I let my other birds out she tries to fly but can't instead she falls down

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Yesterday she lost a wing feather/ flight feather
I can see some red area is that bleeding or just her skin. She is not eating also because she is newto her cage she doesnt know where to eat how do i make her eat. Till now she has eaten only twice in 2 days IMG_20210321_110403.jpg

Attachments

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Her not eating sounds pretty serious. Can you weigh her to check her weight? Is it possible she’s eating without you knowing? If she is sick it’s important to keep her warm and away from your other budgies. Added warmth will help her conserve her energy for getting better. Give her millet. What was the petstore feeding them? Make sure you are offering the same food. If she is really not eating she absolutely needs medical attention- if you take her back to the store will they give her medically attention? The pet store near me definitely will not do this. A rescue maybe able to help assist you in getting her treatment and if you are in the states we have something called care credit.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
If you are able too - feel her keel bone - do you feel her ribs?

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Do you know how to syringe feed? Give her a little apple sauce on the tip of her beak. It sounds like she is literally starving to death

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Her not eating sounds pretty serious. Can you weigh her to check her weight? Is it possible she’s eating without you knowing? If she is sick it’s important to keep her warm and away from your other budgies. Added warmth will help her conserve her energy for getting better. Give her millet. What was the petstore feeding them? Make sure you are offering the same food. If she is really not eating she absolutely needs medical attention- if you take her back to the store will they give her medically attention? The pet store near me definitely will not do this. A rescue maybe able to help assist you in getting her treatment and if you are in the states we have something called care credit.
There is no way she is eating when I'm not seeing cause she is always sleeping and preening in one place. Her feet and beak are not warm its normal temperature only she can't fly her wings are short and yesterday when she lost a feather from her wings now there is skin seen. When she tries to eat other budgies disturb her by pulling her feathers

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
The apple sauce should be plain- the only ingredient should be apples. I’d see if she’ll eat peanut butter too (only ingredient is peanuts). I do all organic but getting any sustenances in her at this point will be good. I she drinking water ? Maybe add a little apple sauce in water also have a plain water dish too in case she steers clear of the apple sauce water

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Keeping her body temp is important can you give her another heat source. You need to separate her from the other birds. Being able to feel her ribs is critical.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d separate her from the other birds personally.

Sounds like you’ll need a vet visit soon if there’s seed in the poop and she has all these other issues of concern.
It sounds to me like she’s unwell not just stressed and scared to eat.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes, move her to her own cage. Everyone has been exposed to whatever she may be carrying so quarantine is in the bin.
As she can't fly make it a small cage, set her perches very low and place seed and water where she can reach them from the perch. Don't offer millet, she needs more than that will give her.
Sounds like she broke a blood feather so it's likely her flights are growing back. Take more photos in a few days and compare them with these to see if they are growing. Offer some smashed boiled egg - it's high energy for her and protein for the feathers. Being quiet like she is is a sign of illness or stress, fingers crossed it's the latter since a vet is ruled out already.
Cover the back and sides of the cage to help her feel safer and don't sit staring at her.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I made her eat separately by putting her on my table and put seeds on it. I put coriander also she ate both. I will keep doing this to make her eat every 1 hour. I will also put her in a separate cage but if I do won't she become lonely. when she was eating on the table she was chirping. I put another male on the table who was eating so seeing him she ate. I am going to feed her like this only. Is it okay?