• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emergency vet...southern CA....Scully

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Although Scully ate a little on his own yesterday it was just not enough. Back to vet today for feeding and also had a vitamin B-12 injection. I wound up handfeeding him yesterday but he only took about 6 ccs. However he must be eating more than I think because his weight was stable. Still perching but still not eating on his own at vet's office and also off balance. Spoke with vet and decided to put him back in his original cage for a short period of time without Mulder in there. Switched out food and water dishes and put layers of towels in, in case he fell. He was very happy to be in there: ate out of both food dishes even though not a lot and was more vocal. BUT best of all...he actually held a piece of paper and then a small balsa wood cube in one foot so he could play with them and did not fall over. His butt was facing the food dish so I know that helped to support him but I haven't seen him hold anything in one foot for over a week.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad Scully is doing better. He needs something to chew on -- maybe a soft wood toy?
I did throw several pieces of wood in there and he did chew on them a little bit but was more interested in the towels. On the drive home today he was chewing on the towel in the carrier.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just curious, what does this mean? :think1:

What am I meaning by color bars or what does it say about sunshine factor? :D

It's looks like a stress bar, on the Blue and gold macaws it's a purple line. If I would feed sunshine factor to my BG's every other day I will get a a purple line through any feathers growing in at that time. Sunshine factor has a few extra ingredients over say avitech RPO, I think it's just a bit much for the BG's and I switched to avitech. If I did not have the discoloration I would not have switched.

My vet did not seem concerned.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Although Scully ate a little on his own yesterday it was just not enough. Back to vet today for feeding and also had a vitamin B-12 injection. I wound up handfeeding him yesterday but he only took about 6 ccs. However he must be eating more than I think because his weight was stable. Still perching but still not eating on his own at vet's office and also off balance. Spoke with vet and decided to put him back in his original cage for a short period of time without Mulder in there. Switched out food and water dishes and put layers of towels in, in case he fell. He was very happy to be in there: ate out of both food dishes even though not a lot and was more vocal. BUT best of all...he actually held a piece of paper and then a small balsa wood cube in one foot so he could play with them and did not fall over. His butt was facing the food dish so I know that helped to support him but I haven't seen him hold anything in one foot for over a week.
Yay!!!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any answers as to what is wrong with him?
Nothing definitive at this time but his treatment plan addresses multiple things. Didn't see him on the platform (which is on bottom of cage) or the very low perch this AM and I got scared but after uncovering the cage a little I saw him sitting on a platform which was positioned higher up. I also saw several hulled safflower seeds in one of the food dishes. He is back at vet this AM and I will be talking to her later today when I pick him up from "birdie day care".

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if turmeric would be helpful??