• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emergency cage? (fire is slowly coming my way)

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm posting this here because there is a massive fire just 30 minutes south of me, and its looking like a possibility that I will have to pack everyone up and go
Hopefully, it doesn't come to that *knock on wood*

All I have is Raiju's cage and a travel cage. I'm not sure I can fit Raiju's cage into the car along with everyone else (I also have two dogs and a bunny, they all have kennels so them being in the car together isn't an issue)

Any ideas where I can get or what I can use as a last-minute, decent-sized cage if I end up having to leave the city? My travel cage is not big enough to live in, even for a short period of time

Hopefully I'm able to bring Raiju's cage into the car(god forbid we have to) and we can just use that, but I'd rather be prepared so I'm not left with no options

I also still have Raiju's old cage that he came with but I would rather not use that as it's not safe(I'm also not sure if I can fit it into my car), Raiju escaped in his old home multiple times through the bars because some spaces have large gaps (the rest of the bars are half an inch, its an odd cage)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Get a tape measure and go check the car. See what will and won´t fit so you have a starting point.

What is unsafe about the cage Raiju came home in?
How big is the travel cage? If they´re a little cramped for a few days then it is what it is. Maybe you can find some place to stay and allow out of cage time to stretch those wings.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I just measured and it for sure won't fit with the kennels. I'm home alone so I have to pack everyone up in one car

Raiju's old cage has some big spaces that he can (and has) gotten out of, Phoenix is bigger than he is so I could see Phoenix getting himself stuck and hurting himself

The travel cage is only a foot long and 10 inches high. I've been meaning to get a bigger one so I can take both birds places at once but I never got around to it, now I'm paying the price it seems :unsure1:

I could possibly have the dogs in the car without the kennels, I'm just worried about traveling with them and the birds/bunny in the same space

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope you can work it out. Hopefully it won't come to it but need to be prepared. Fire is just not anything to play with.
Where are your parents? Everyone needs to help. Its all too serious but main plan is to have important docs avail & safety of life.

Where will you go? A shelter? Dogs may need the crates too. I guess you can purchase better short term cages after you reach safety.

I wish you the best. Its hard when you have so many animals to bring to safety.

Crossing my fingers the winds miss you. :nervous: :angel6:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thank you

My parents and siblings are out of town, they took a 4th of July trip and I stayed because of my birds and bunny, I didn't want them to be alone with the fireworks

I'm not sure where I'll go, but anywhere that's the opposite direction of the fire works for me! I might have to bring a tent and pitch up outside if it gets super bad, I doubt any hotels will allow birds or a bunny and I'm not leaving them behind... Luckily we have the summer weather right now so it doesn't get colder than 70 at night
I might drive to a friends house but they're down south, and the fire is in between us, I'd have to go around which may be a super long drive

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm hoping I might be able to find something at the petstore in Idaho (state right next to me) but it's nearly 5pm so they could be closed by the time I get to them

I'd head out and buy a cage right now but I don't feel comfortable leaving the pets behind with the possibility of the fire moving quickly to us

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you have any large Tupperware with lids, these would work in an emergency.
Poke enough holes for air, and buy a small crate/cage once you're safe.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Poke enough holes for air, and buy a small crate/cage once you're safe.
Could I use a bin? I have some decent sized storage bins that are bigger than the travel cage, I could poke air holes in them

There's another fire north of me now only 15 minutes away. Waiting for updates :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes a bin works in emergencies. I've even heard of pillow cases for those times it grab and run!
I'd consider a bin temporary though, especially if it's hot. There's really no good air flow.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hey Britney, how are you? I hope the fire didn´t get any closer!

Or that critter carrier container you used as a brooder for Phoenix can work too.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thank you guys

Luckily it looks like the fire won’t get to me. Still being hyper aware though because there’s been a ton of brush fires around me from the embers flying!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also don't discount hotels allowing "caged animals". I've taken cats and birds to several hotels over the years. Keeping the birds in the shower in their travel cage helps keep out noises that they might want to scream back at. Even better if there is a fan you can run!

And with wildfires they may be more lenient