• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent EMERGENCY BLOOD FEATHER

Leothebird

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
My lovebird fell and has a blood feather thankfully the bleeding has stopped and he didnt lose too much blood. Do i need to disinfect the feather? I dont want to risk pulling it out since the bleeding has already stopped

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I had a bird who was prone to falling now and again and would need a feather pulled occasionally. I never disinfectant them. If your bird is relatively stable I wouldn't worry too much about it. Accidents happen and birds can fall. But I would keep a close eye on him to make sure the fall was indeed just an accident and not something like sickness that's causing him to be unbalanced.

Hopefully if feather has stopped bleeding it won't start up again. I'd leave it alone as long as doesn't reopen. If he bumps it or if he starts picking at it, it could bleed again. I had a self mutilator but he tended to leave blood feathers alone. So if you bird is in good health it should be unlikely that this will happen. I've had pull feathers numerous times so I don't find it that difficult but if you've never done it before you're best to go to vet if possible. You can accidentally injure your bird if done incorrectly. Especially true for smaller birds.

Anyway you're hopefully/probably out of the woods. But it would be wise to try and find an avian vet or emergency vet that treats birds in the meantime. :)

I hope it's just an accident and your bird feels better and you won't have to worry about it. :)

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the bleeding has stopped then I would just leave it and keep an eye on it.
I would only look at having it pulled if it was bothering the bird or if it did not stop bleeding.

Leothebird

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
Thank you so much for the replies. He did fall as i was putting him in the cage but it was a tiny fall, and somehow turned into a blood feather. Thankfully, he's as energetic as he always is and he seems fine, i'll also keep an eye on him
Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I took a bird first aid class. The vet said a blood feather should only be pulled if the bleeding won't stop. She said pulling the feather is very painful for the bird and rarely does one have to be pulled. Keep corn starch or something on hand to stop bleeding if needed. She also suggested trimming the feather rather than pulling if it seems to be bothering the bird.

Leothebird

Moving in
Real Name
Lily
I took a bird first aid class. The vet said a blood feather should only be pulled if the bleeding won't stop. She said pulling the feather is very painful for the bird and rarely does one have to be pulled. Keep corn starch or something on hand to stop bleeding if needed. She also suggested trimming the feather rather than pulling if it seems to be bothering the bird.
Thank you this will help me be prepared if this ever happens to any of my other birds. I was going to pull it out because we thought it was the best option but my dad advised me not to. Thankfully we didn't since he wasnt losing too much blood and it dried quickly. I also cut his feathers shorter incase.
Hes very energetic now
Thank you guys

Attachments