• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elvis is nippy

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Elvis has been very hormonal lately, for the past 2 weeks he's nipped me at least once every time I ask him to step up. He will also nip me when he asks for head scritches and I start "preening" his head.
The only time he doesn't nip me is if he is already sitting on my finger and I ask him to up onto my other hand, or when I ask him to step up while he is on the floor.
I have just assumed it was his hormones, as I know hormones can change the way they behave.
I guess I'll have to wait a while before Elvis is cuddly again, in the mean time, I have 3 birds to continue step up training with.
Skittles, Opal, and Jordan all have to continue their step up training.
Elvis will still have his daily one-on-one time like the rest of the flock.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy is a bit nippy in general. She "grabs" my finger as she steps up, she randomly nips as she gets scritches, she also gets very irritated when I clean her cage, add millet, take away millet, move toys, or basically do anything she doesn't want to happen.

I find the easiest thing to do with nipping is ignore it. Otherwise, they start to think that it's a good way to get what they want.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snuggles downright bit hubby last night before J gave Snuggles his mess.
Bites are no big deal. I think Snuggles is getting cranky in his advanced years. He has started yelling in protest every time he gets meds.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I’ve been getting nipped by my Charlie lately . I think his hormonal too. He’s alomst 6 months old.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Maybe it is because you brought a female into the home so it triggered his instinct to breed :) he wants to taste the rainbow. Hahaha lame joke I know