• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella update - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Well, I have had Ella for one month today.

Ella saw the vet today for her follow up.

Vet said her wound is healing up nicely. He said I did a good job keeping it clean and it looks really good.

He refilled meds of anitbiotics, wants her to do another round of those and follow up again in 2 weeks.

short visit today. vet bill much less, only 76.50 charged me for short visit/follow up and I paid for meds.

Recommend full spectrum lighting - already spoke to Kathie and ordered.

Also weight was down slightly. 195 from 205 -- however, don't have much faith in the scale. Vet tech at first told me weight was 175. I said, really. she was 205 last time and her appetite has increased and she's eating well.

anyway, reweighed and said 195. However I think last time she was weighed with her poncho, so that could acct for a few grams lost. dr didn't mention anything of weight so I guess not so abnormal

anyway, here are pics. she is eating well. she been eating the roudybush pellets. I soak in a little almond milk to soften. I was feeding them to her crushed on the spoon. this morning I came in with the oatmeal at 9:30 instead of my usual 7am feeding and she was eating the pellets. I put them in at 6:30 with warm milk and them come back later with the oatmeal.

He said we talk more on feather extractions later, right now just continue meds and continue with topical for wound

here's pics - naked as a jaybird looking like a plucked chicken

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am weeping all over again...the poor wee precious girlie...I am so very glad you have her n ow..you give that Ella a big kiss from me.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
She is beautiful!! You have done well with her for sure!!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
She looks like such a sweetie!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I just want to give her tummy raspberries. She is sooooo precious. I cry too Anne, everytime.

Ginger

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Ella!!!! I love updates on you!! :heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is so adorable,I just wanna snuggle her.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What a good vet check.

What kind of diet is she on? She does look awfully skinny. Probably due to not having feathers and having to use a lot of energy on keeping warm. Does she like nuts? Sweet potatoe or squash?

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
This is her diet and feeding schedule. anybody have suggestions, let me know.

6:30 I give her about 6 pellets with warm almond milk, just enough to cover bottom of bowl. it soaks into the pellets. I can start givin more but today first time she ate these on her own. I usually break them and put on top of the oatmeal and she eats them like that. at first I crushed, then break in two, then just put them on spoon whole.

the vet recommend I just put 7 pellets and then just add seed and a lil more seed every few hours. I didn't want to risk her losing weight and being hungry so I did it my way.

9:30, after I take youngest to school, I come back walk dogs and then make Ella her oatmeal. Quaker instant oatmeal plain and I add chopped apple, pears, sweet potato cinnamon and also a little weight gain, some avian trio and palm oil. this is spoon fed.

then I add a little seeds to her food bowl and fresh pellets dry she also has a full bowl of bountiful harvest with the roudybush pellets in the other food bowl avail at all times. she readily eats the nuts, almonds, cashews and she picks through it - I seen her eat a mango piece or part of it, she throws most of it out but she does pick through there mostly for the nuts.

5:30-6:30 she gets her Higgins cookable meal, creamy zen or spice market or morrocan cafe with a little more avian trio, weight gain and palm oil. she eats this herself out the bowl she will eat for about a half hour or up to an hour off n on then I take out. I always put more than I know she can eat

after dinner a little more seeds and a few almonds

about 10:30 she gets her oatmeal cookie piece mashed with juice, just enuf to mask taste of meds and she will eat this from the spoon. she gets this in the morning also.

a few more seeds, almonds and a piece of millet for snack through the night

that's what I feed.

occasionally she gets banana in the oatmeal.. she won't eat any fruits other than what I put in oatmeal. I tried grapes, banana, mango, orange -- she won't eat it.

I tried birdie bread, corn bread -- won't eat

she wears the poncho most of the day, except for maybe 15 20 mins daily when I take it off and let her flap her wings for exercise.

after bath- spritz only - I use heat lamp to warm her up

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
:heart: You are doing such a good job. :hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMG she is just so precious...sounds like you are doing great with her...she is so lucky.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Ella looks gorgeous... :heart: I really love hearing about her updates and how well she is doing under your care.. :) After you get the spectrum lighting all set up, please let us know if Ella likes it, as that is something on my 'To Do' list.. :)

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
What a great update! She's looking fabulous!

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
this brought tears to my eyes - poor baby. I'm so happy that you found each other and it's so obvious that you love her and that will make a huge difference in her life. You are Ella's guardian angel. I missed her story - did you post it somewhere? It is nice to know that she is progressing and although I know nothing about what you are going through it sounds like you are doing the right thing and trying to do what is best for Ella. I'm anxious to hear about her progress a few months down the road.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Ella! she's just such a sweetie.
I know she'll continue to thrive in your care. :)

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
this brought tears to my eyes - poor baby. I'm so happy that you found each other and it's so obvious that you love her and that will make a huge difference in her life. You are Ella's guardian angel. I missed her story - did you post it somewhere? It is nice to know that she is progressing and although I know nothing about what you are going through it sounds like you are doing the right thing and trying to do what is best for Ella. I'm anxious to hear about her progress a few months down the road.
I don't really know what happened to her or how she got like this. the person I got her from said they had her a month or two and got her already plucked and mutilated from a relative who had a lot of birds. I think it was not a smoke free environment and they had their favorite birds of which Ella was not--this is story I got. they were going to have her put down so this person took her in and bought her a new cage but she was not getting better and they didn't know what to do and posted an ad on craigslit.

I was looking for a cage for a baby grey I was anticipating buying and saw the ad -- it was in the wrong section --just tugged at my heart strings and I was hoping with the help from people here I could help her.

I'm not an expert. I've learned a lot just being here. I have a sun, parakeet canary and dove.

I just hope a better diet -- she was eating just seeds -- and regular bathing -- I don't think she'd had a bathe in quite awhile when I got her -- will help.

she is so sweet and affectionate and loving and she talks to me every day
Hello, bye bye, night night. every time someone enters the room she says hello and she responds when you talk to her.

I just wanted her to have a chance to be happy and healthy. vet said internally all organs are ok,just have to heal the outside.:heart::heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Her physical insides might be okay, but her inside spirit, mental and emotional health are the keys to healing her outsides and I think your doing a wonderful job healing that too.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.