• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Elevated Bile Acid levels? What to do next?

babyash

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Sorry if this isn't the right place to be posting this.

My CAG is turning 8 in 2 weeks. I got some worrying test results today and am obviously very stressed out thinking the worst. I need some expert opinions on his lab results.

We did some blood work (CBC) and Comprehensive Chemistry recently for him. Last one was 2 years ago and his BA levels were normal. His BA levels from this time (I believe the vet called it Bile Acid) are very elevated. His vet said that the upper limit for normal was 106 and his came back at 96 (they were in the 60s 2 years ago). See attached results. She said she wasn't worried about the slightly elevated WBC and that we didn't have to do anything about it. For the elevated BA she recommends either another test to see what the level is over the next two weeks or an x-ray next week to see if she can find anything that way (with our without sedation).

His current diet is mostly pellets but he also gets fresh veggies and fruit which he eats but not nearly as much as I'd like him to. He does get to nibble on some of our stuff when we're eating meals but it is a relatively negligible amount. He also gets a whole walnut and 2 almonds a day.

On the outside he seems completely healthy, his behaviour hasn't changed at all from what I can see. He is out of the cage all day except to sleep, vocalizes, and is a brat most of the time, nothing has changed.

My questions:

What could cause BA levels to go up this much over just 2 years?
Could biting at his cage have anything to do with this? Is there anything diet wise that could cause this? The only major thing that has changed over the past two years is I added Tops pellets (he loves them). He also gets nutriberries and avi-cakes, and also gets zupreem from time to time. I know some people don't like nutriberries and avi-cakes but from what I've read they are nutritionally complete and he has got them since he was young without any issues.

Do you recommend he get sedated for the x-ray? How safe is this? Is it the same as anesthetic?

Do you recommend he do the same test one more time for the BA levels before the x-ray? His vet recommended going straight to the x-ray but I'm worried it will be more stressful on him.

Thank you so much in advance!

IMG_3174.jpg IMG_3175.jpg

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Internet says

What causes bile acids to rise?

The bile acid cycle is triggered by fat content in your diet. More fat in your small intestine triggers chemical signals that tell your liver to deliver more bile. More bile leads to more bile acids passing into your colon. For this reason, healthcare providers recommend a low-fat diet to help manage BAM.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Do you have a macaw or cockatoo or other parrots?
Eosinophils and basophils are also high . One cause can be hypersensitivity, or parasite, or other. In kink you can go through and see what results mean

babyash

Avenue Veteran
Do you have a macaw or cockatoo or other parrots?
Eosinophils and basophils are also high . One cause can be hypersensitivity, or parasite, or other. In kink you can go through and see what results mean

Hi Pixiebeak. I don't have any other birds. Hypersensitivity to what? Parasite as in a bacterial infection? I didn't understand much from that link.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If you had dusty birds , it could be a hypersensitivity to that. Allergic, or parasite and cancer and other things can cause high baso and eos. So I was interested in other parrots for the reason of maybe a hypersensitivity to

babyash

Avenue Veteran
If you had dusty birds , it could be a hypersensitivity to that. Allergic, or parasite and cancer and other things can cause high baso and eos. So I was interested in other parrots for the reason of maybe a hypersensitivity to
Well that worries me. She told me that those high WBC numbers weren't very concerning and that we didn't need to do anything about it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Well that worries me. She told me that those high WBC numbers weren't very concerning and that we didn't need to do anything about it.
Well, I don't know much :) just a little, so I would listen to your professional veterinarian over me ;) don't worry if you don't need to . Your baby was having no symptoms and this was just just routine check. I certainly don't know all the reasons, and if things can be off from stress or other non worry stuff

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret has high readings (higher than yours). I've been dealing with it for years (and failing) but I love her and do what I can. I feel in my heart that no one else would love her as much.

I was told by a member here that was very smart.... that even on a lean diet, Secret

"needs protein, some fats (good ones) and some carbohydrates too." Her own bird had major health issues and among the things she fed hers was "Tofu and egg whites and a little Salmon in her diet for protein. She has to have protein to build muscles"

Bear in mind that my name here is Clueless for a reason. I knew zip about birds before I rescued my 2 amazons. I thought if I lost either it would be Secret to her health issues. Instead, I lost MC to a tumor that was cancerous.