• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Electric Hot Water Bottle

QBa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacci McNulty
Because there is dusty work going on in my home at the moment my barraband and I have been on the move. We had a wonderful airbnb place for a week with no restriction on heating, but I was ill-advised as to when house would be safe for her and by the time I realised we would need to stay away for longer the airnbn was booked by someone else. I found another pet friendly house to rent for a week, but I think it was supposed to have been advertised as dog friendly as they didn't seen happy about the bird and so I am being careful - I don't want to be asked to leave! I have no control over the heating. It ranges from very warm to just about adequate by human standards, the main concern being during the night. It is adequate for me at night in that if I wake up I can walk about in a night shirt without shivering, but my bird is used to being kept warm. I use microwaveable heaters for her at bedtime, and could use one at bedtime and another during the night except that the microwave is in a place where it would disturb others if I used it during the night. I have a supply of blankets, a hot water bottle which I hadn't used and which gave off such a strong rubber smell last night that I am frightened in case the fumes are toxic. I also have a silver-lined survival tent with no fasteners, so it is like a huge thick sheet. I bought an electric hot water bottle today but I can't find out if it could be harmful to her, the idea would be to put it under/on top of/near the cage. I think she could manage so long as I replace her heat source when it cools down in the middle of the night (I've been heating it early - again so as not to disturb others). Does any one have any experience of electric hot water bottles?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Never heard of electric hot water bottles but you honestly would be much better off and safer to just purchase a cage or perch heater designed for keeping a bird warm I would think.

@Mizzely

QBa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacci McNulty
Never heard of electric hot water bottles but you honestly would be much better off and safer to just purchase a cage or perch heater designed for keeping a bird warm I would think.

@Mizzely
Thanks, might be an idea now my electricals in my home are up-to-date, i thought about one in the past but didn't think it would be safe at that time - I would need to order it for when I get back into my house.