• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ekkie stopped eating fresh food

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Hello, I am having an issue with my eclectus not wanting to eat anything fresh anymore. At first he would eat anything hot peppers, broccoli etc now he just puts his tongue on everything and won't eat it. He just ignores fruit completly now as well. He prefers to just eat almonds of his zupreem diet. Is there anything I can do to reinforce him to eat the fresh food.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Try different presentations... Raw, cooked, pureed, chopped, sliced, grated, skewered, wrapped in lettuce and held with a toothpick like a little veggie burrito, etc. Offer the fresh foods 1st thing of the day when he's most hungry. Eat the food yourself and make a big deal about it! Show him how good it is then offer it to him from your plate.

Be careful giving an abundance of almonds and other fatty nuts. They're a favorite of course so he'll naturally go for that 1st! We withhold nearly all nuts to use as treats - and bribes!

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
I don't usually offer the nuts as a staple it is usually just a tiny amount and just a treat. He seems to love hot peppers. I will see what I can do. Thank you.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I know my Eckie Gillian gets bored with things from time to time, so we try to mix it up and add different fruits and veggies in the mix. Like @EkkieLuv said, try to vary the presentation and how you cut it, they can be quite particular at times.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I don't usually offer the nuts as a staple it is usually just a tiny amount and just a treat. He seems to love hot peppers. I will see what I can do. Thank you.
Use hot peppers to your advantage! Stuff them with chop, alternate them on a skewer with other veggies, etc. Just keep trying - they can certainly be picky... and stubborn. LOL

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
I will try the skewer for sure. it possible he may be getting bored. Although I usually add something different and new. New even for me haha. Some of the fruit he gets I haven't ever heard of.