• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eggs eggs eggs

Patty246

Checking out the neighborhood
My mom has a love bird (original owner had to get rid of). Suddenly she has started laying eggs. 5 this week alone. She was just leaving them in the past but now is sitting on these ones. No male bird. Two budgies in another cage. What’s up with this ? I have a male grey so this is new to me

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:

what’s her diet like ? Cage set up ? Sleep schedule? How longs she been sitting on them for ?
these will help others to help you
Tagging @Zara and @Pixiebeak for you

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is one of the species prone to chronic egg laying., I've read many stories, some end up needing veterinarian hormonal therapy.

Diet is extremely important, to keep their bodies supplied with calcium and nutrition.

I do not have love birds. But I'm having eggs every breeding season in my quaker. My avian veterinarian suggested going to a 14-15 hour light day. And staying on that year round .using light and timer . That a long light day is better than a long dark sleep time in preventing seasonsl hormonal response.
I've only just started this .

Let her sit in eggs until she looses interest. You can get dummy eggs.

Sometimes when birds go to a new home , and d with other birds around ( or not) and are getting more attention. It can cause them to get temporary hormonal. I have seen this many many times. So we can hope it's just the excitement of the new home and this will be a once off. And this is not to dst to pay less attention to them or anything ! They are just happy

The other things, are after the eggs, increased forging, actives, moving cage every month, even by a few feet, re arrangements of cage , putting in novel objects. This little bit of change up , is thought to make it less their territory, a minor ( positive ) stress . I have had some luck with this

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What’s up with this ?
It is ok for her to sit on the eggs, but don't let her sit too long. Max is 3 weeks - no more than that. They will never hatch, but if you just remove the eggs, she will likely lay more.

5 is a nice clutch number. Eggs are laid every other day (24-48 hours).

Once the 21 days is up, or she abandons them, remove the eggs, any nest she may have created, and rearrange the cage, move food and water bowls, toys, everything. An abandoned nest is obvious, eggs are usually thrown about and not neat, and she won't return to sit.

While she is sitting, keep offering flight time, if you can coax her out of her cage to fly is really good. I offer millet spray or paper to shred for her nest and make her work for the stuff (fly) by placing it on the other side of the room in view.

Sitting on eggs for too long can cause problems with circulation to the legs so the more you can get her up and moving the better, and if you can encourage her to give up on the eggs sooner rather than later, that will be better for her.