• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
Hey! It's been over a year since I have posted so here's an update on my Linnie, Levi. Today, I came home and when I went to the kitchen I heard Levi making some grumbly noises. I went up to see and I found 2 eggs laying on the floor of the cage! We had no idea that she was a female till this point but I can't change her name LOL. Anyway, I have 2 eggs, and it looks like she has another ready. I need some tips on what to do for her. I already put new calcium blocks in and bought her more seeds. Should I remove the eggs? Should I build her a box hut? Any tips would be helpful! Thank you,
Quill

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
Oh man, I wish I knew how to answer this question because I'm nervous about our Linnies' first eggs too. In theory it should be the same technique as with any other parrot, in which case it depends on what you want to do. If you want her to not get chronic egg laying, you have to start increasing her sleep hours for starters, and if they're already at 12 hours then maybe even kick it up to 14, as well as checking for any disturbances at night. Obviously this is all just preventative, and she's probably not being excessively stimulated as long as she doesn't have anything like a happy hut in her cage or anyone rubbing her butt regularly.

As for what to do with the actual eggs, I'm honestly not so sure. Some people recommend removal when she abandons the eggs, which she should after realizing they're not going to hatch, birds of any parrot species will lay anywhere from one to a large handful of eggs, but eventually this clutch should stop on its' own and she would size the clutch herself, probably 4 or 5 eggs? Other people recommend using dummy eggs, I don't really understand all the logistics on what to do in the moment of egg laying.

A nesting box is probably not necessary, as far as i'm aware you only get one to encourage nesting for pairs or girls at a certain time of year so you can get them on a healthy breeding cycle, and since she's already eggnant it'd only extend her clutch out even further.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Let her keep the eggs till you can get fakes to replace them. When you do get your fake ones, put all of them in at once. You can give her a shallow bowl (like a ceramic water dish) with a paper towel to cushion the eggs. She may not actually sit on them till she has a full clutch, or may not at all since this is her first time laying.

She'll need more dark greens (broccoli, kale, stuff like that) and healthy veggies to keep her nutrition up. If she's eating warm/mushy foods, try to switch her to raw veggies instead. You can scrape cuttlebone on top of her food before serving as well.