• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg hatching

pinacoloda1

Meeting neighbors
My question
Does a cockatiel hen (no dad in cage) have to sit on her eggs consistently in order for them to hatch? She does sit on them now and again but sporadically. And since both of her first clutch chicks are older (about five to six weeks)
would it be safe to put dad back in the same cage?
He was removed for aggression when his older chick started pin feathers..
Thankyou everyone

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know about 'tiels but with my red-bellies mom and dad would both be off the eggs for different periods of time and sometimes they took turns. I'm assuming that the chicks and the next clutch of eggs are all in the same cage. If the dad is aggressive he could really do damage to the babies so you probably do not want to return him to the cage. I know of parents who have bit off their babies' toes and feet and some have actually killed them. If mom can not successfully raise the babies than you need to be ready to pull them, put them in a brooder with correct temperature and humidity and feed them.

pinacoloda1

Meeting neighbors
Yes the two chicks,the mom hen,and her six eggs are all in the large flight cage together. I was asking about dad being reunited with his family in the flight cage so perhaps he could help with the eggs?? But i certainly don't wanna put the two older chicks in harms way..cause the dad had to be removed once already..he acted fine until one of the babies started getting pin feathers..him and mom took turns sitting on the two eggs And he shared the feedings with her..
I felt bad separating mom and dad,they love eachother,been together since i got them both. But for the safety and wellbeing of the chick,who was bleeding quite profusely, it had to be done.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You were right to remove dad. Only return him if you are willing to pull that first clutch and handfeed them. Otherwise you are endangering the babies. If you do return him make sure that he is not aggressive towards mom and that he is OK with the newly hatching second clutch. It is sometimes the case that birds are not good parents with their first clutch but with the second clutch they do well and are successful in raising their babies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Hens are on and off the eggs frequently depending upon how warm it is where the nest box is located. At night she is on the nest consistently. I would keep any aggressive male away from the whole situation including any babies left in the nest. I had one hen green cheek who was not a good parent at all. She bit off a toe on one of the chicks! Removed her and let the male feed and raise and actually hatch the last egg. He was terrific! A painted conure male. First time. Amazing!