• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus or Pionus

Debebe

Meeting neighbors
hello everyone! I’m new to posting on this site, but I’ve been researching in the background for months. I am an inexperienced bird owner (previously had a cockatiel, 10+ years ago), and am looking to add a new bird to the family. I have kids (age 6 and 8), who are pretty mature and understand needing to respect animal space — but obviously, they’re still kids. There is noise and sometimes chaos in my house. After my research so far, I am pretty drawn to the male Solomon Island Eclectus. We are an organic, fresh fruit and veggies for every meal kind of family, and I think I could keep up with diet requirements. What I’m more concerned about is sensitivity to environment. For you Eclectus owners, do you think it’s a mistake to bring an eclectus into a household with kids? I would plan to get a baby rather than adopt simply so the bird would grow up in the environment.

I have also been considering a maximillian or blue headed pionus, because I hear they can be good with families if well socialized, but I am also concerned about sensitivity to the children’s noise/boisterous play.

I welcome your thoughtful feedback about the eclectus or pionus in a house with kids. Thank you in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I highly recommend an eclectus, especially male to your family. They are amazing birds.

My boy can home at 4 months of age. While there have been some hurdles we have successfully overcome these. I suggest you look at some pitential behaviors and strategies used to curb these. Some require a lot of persistents to nip in bud.

Our boy spends equal time with each member of the family and doesn't get jealous one bit. The dog is even included in this and often you'll find him sitting on his bed having a chat. He likes to help my hubby fix stuff or help me sew (well play wity my material). He takes turns for cuddles at night too.

These guys are a lot of work regarding attention and diet, however definitely worth the effort if you have time and include them in daily life. My boy understands so many commands so everyday life is a little easier. Toilet trained and responds to basic commands such as no, leave it, hope out etc. Hes vocabulary is amazing and he loves using words in context. He does get a bit of attitude and will talk back or growl. Very entertaining. He also helps with everything and follows you around the house. Extremely playful and very rarely in a bad mood.

We dont have an kids but have a baby on the way. The adjustment will probably be affecting us tbh and he'll be glad to have someone else to play with. Looking at how he responds to my down syndrome sister in law i know there wont be any problems from him. Hes extra gentle and gives her lots of space. He also gets excited when he sees kids running and yelling in a park. He happily sits on them and talks to them despite us not having any kids yet.

These guys are highly intelligent. What you guys put in as a family you will get back 10 fold from an eckie. We take ours out for coffee, walks, car rides and holidays. He has perfect behavior and thoroughly enjoys being out and included. In fact the more we include him the more well behaved bird we have.

Trust me when i say your eckie can create more noise and kaos than your kids ever will. They can also calm things down. If hubby and i get too heated echo will either yell at both of us in competition or pick a side by sitting on that persons shoulder. It always makes us laugh and then he laughs with us.

Is there a particular situation or concern you have?

Debebe

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, Aggie - your info was extremely helpful. This is a duplicate of the other thread, but I'm glad to get the response! I think we are leaning towards a conure - I've heard they are less prone to the type of hormonal behavior ekkies sometimes display, but I tell you - I am really in love with ekkies!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Debebe

They are delightful souls. Dont be put off by hormonal issues. Lots of ppl have them with no problems. Theres a very strong connection to correct diet. Im yet to see for myself what happens when my boy hits over 3yrs.

My parrot before echo was a quacker. Have you looked into those? He was an extremely easy keep. Ate everything, no health issues happy to just be in room or on you for cuddles. Talked a bit too. Very smoochy but never sexual.

Only draw back was his poo. Just seemd to like to squirt it out of cage so i made a washable cover that fixed that problem. Never an issue outside his cage though. He was such a sweetheart. I miss him dearly.

TBH the only problem bird i ever had was a femal budgie that got cancer in her leg. I was a 10yr old girl at time and it was my first bird. Every bird after that has been great. I really do believe its about what you put in to what you get out. If you get from a good breeder the bird would have had a pleasant start to life and not developed any issues etc. Im against pet shops personally as they over charge and don't always care for bird welfare.

Maybe look at what you want out of a bird first ie. Just to be with family, talk, play games, go out in community, level of interaction etc Then work your way back. Every bird can develop behaviours and every behaviour can be managed with right approach and patience. Look at the minimum hours you can give with the current and future commitments and factor that around choice. That way the bird will be happier and so will you guys (ie less chance behaviours and screaming if not getting enough attention)

Best of luck. Look forward to hearing about your choice. I also really admire the way you are going about finding the right bird for your family. Wish more people did this.