• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus (male)

S-O L

Moving in
Hi I am searching for a parrot that will fit me and I found two that would be fine: cape parrot and eclectus. But I would like to have some information/experience that people have with their eclectus I have read alot about them I know their alimentation is different, their are less destructive (is it true?), they dont very like to cuddle (can you still handle them easily like taking there wings and paws? And do they sometime like to be pet?) and can they be independant if they have toys (are they good for someone who works?). I would like if you could correct me and tell some of your experience with them. Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Welcome to the forum! I'll preface everything I say with the caveat that every parrot has their own personality and is different. One persons experience with Eclectus is in no way indicative of the entire species. My suggestion if you are interested in meeting an Eckie is to check out any local rescues and get to know the individual birds.

Our Eclectus is for the most part laid back. She does not like scritches but does like to be held or near you. She occasionally plays with toys but not nearly as much as our other birds; however this could be due to her lack of toys in her previous home.

S-O L

Moving in
Thanks a lot! I am trying to talk with people who own one and to eventually go see an eclectus. I totally agree that each bird is different but when I hear story there is a lot of similarities. So I like when people share their experience with their bird because its the only way for me to know those parrot better. If you know someone who owns one (I am looking more for a male eclectus) who would like to share his experience on this page I would very appreciate!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

I have a 21month old male eclectus. Had him since 4months old but visited him since 3 weeks old. I have had various smaller parrots my whole life but nothing that comes close to an eckie. I definitely recommend these guys to the experienced that have time to provide the life these guys deserve.

Echo has been a lot more work than i anticipated, however, he is much more than i ever dreamed. We have gone through some challenging times. First it was the biting. This was devasting as my angle turned into a devil. He was also extremely unwell with toe tapping. On a strict diet now with everything being prepared fresh twice daily. Currently we are working on screaming which is only an issue when hubby is home. I suppose i could get rid of the hubby.

Echo is a family bird. He loves everyone, including the dog, in his own way. He will spend time with each member everyday even if that means visiting the dog on his bed in laundry. He doesnt have a favourite, but responds to me better than hubby but this is purely due to me understanding him more and being consistent.

Echo does not like to be touched throughout the day unless its through play. He will lift his wings for me so i can pat him there or give him a kiss. At night you can do anything to him and he becomes extremely cuddly. He like to sit so close i feel his breath on my face. He will also refuse to go to bed unless he gets a 5min cuddle. If not he just keeps flying around the house and back to bedroom waiting on your pillow. He is always around to help with any task. Washing, sampling food, stealing stationary or sewing materials etc. Makes for cleaner house of human things as they fet put away or stolen by echo. Echo is also extremely independent and will often play by himself for hours. He has a laundry basket full of toys, more toys in cupboard and another toy box in his cage. Only spoilt a little. If im home he has free run of whole house. He needs mental stimulation and human interaction daily. If i am away too long i get screamed at when i walk through the door. This the turns into him flying to my shoulder whinging about being being left until i destract him with a treat. He also likes to sook if told he cant have something or isnt allowed to do something. Like its a full on sook. He's not very destructive compared to other larger parrots, however, Echo was taught very early the meaning of 'no' and is able to understand and stop undesired action (unless its screaming. 'No' doesnt work for screaming) He also uses 'no' in context when he doesn't want to do something. It really is very cheeky. He will growl at us when hes unhappy with us but always behind our back and never to our face.

These guys are very very smart and intune with their human flock. I do nightshift every 6 weeks for a 2 week block. While im sleeping hes ever so quiet. Doesn't stop talking if im up and awake. Hes never woken me up though unlike the dog.

Echo is harness and recall trained. He goes on day hikes and has been in harness for 12hrs no problem. Loves going on road trips, camping and holidays, being on his best behaviour. Does get car sick with too much stopoing and starting. He knows all his colours, can count to 10 and knows over 200+ words/frasers/sounds. He can even use these in context but never when you want him to of course. He is toilet trained, wipes his beak when asked and recently we have been getting him use to having his nails filed and to shake his foot for hello. He has taught himself to file down his own beak on our grout. He has an amazing sense of humour with a very forgiving soul. If im down he will do something funny to make me laugh or i randomly get cuddles through the day (remember doesnt like to be touched during day). He loves routine such as shower time, shared meals and bedtime routine, but is extremely flexible with everything else. Loves visitors!

Today he figured out how to release suction on lid of food container and removed lid so he could help himself to a piece of pasta. My fault entirely as i normally give him a little piece before sauce goes on it. Guess you can say he can be self sufficient too! Lol

Great birds but are a lot of work. My hubby would not allow me to have him if he knew how much work they are. BTW these guys are also prone to plucking due to stress, diet and hormones once sexual maturity is reached. Patting on back and wings is not recommended as it only frustrates the bird more.

I hope this helps. But really i do believe they are what you put in. Some eckies never talk while others can be taught to ride bikes and do various tricks.

All the best and keep is updated wgen you get your baby.

S-O L

Moving in
Thank you so much for your time! This comment as very helped me, I will continue my research until im ready to have one. And do you know if there is a difference in the personnality of each sub species? Like the grand or the solomon. I know there is a little bit of color variation and size difference bit I dont know for the temperament.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
No problem! Glad it helped.

Im not sure tbh. I do know though that especially in males its really hard to distinguish between the subspecies unless 100% pure bred. There is a lot of cross breeding. Every breeder tells me my boy is something else but i can see each of their reasons.

From my experience every eckie ive met has similiar mannerisms such as noises, head movements and responses. They all share similar cheeky personality with the boys. The girls do vary a lot in personality. Some are super friendly and better companions than boys while others are cage sharks and like only one person.

If you get an opportunity try find a breeder that will allow you to spend time with your baby to be until they come home around 4 months. They will be able to fill you in on their behavior. You maybe be able to pick which you like best.

Echo was super chilled and nothing really bothered him from when he was little. Its like this now. He got to eat last as the youngest so has the biggest appetite as a result. No food wasted here. He was brought up around young children so now when he sees them in park he gets super excited and calls to them.

I suggest that when looking for a baby to bring home you ensure they come from a good breeder that has exposed the bird to being handled, playing with toys, being wrapped in towel and if possible even started harness training. Make sure bird is 100% weaned and eating independently for some time as this can cause issues if regress once you bring home.