• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DYH Amazon Not Weaning

nlmiller1

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a 3 month old DYH Amazon that is on 2 hand feedings per day. The bird
doesn't show any interest at all in eating on it's own. I offer fruits, veggies,
and soften pellets. Whenever I am in view, the bird cries incesently and wants
to be fed. Regardless of wether he is full or not, he still cries as long as he
can see me. His weight is good. He's big, solid and has vibrant coloration.
Any ideas on how to get him to start weaning and curtail the crying?

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
Not an expert at all in breeding of larger birds but I do know some birds do take longer than others to wean. Just be patient and keep offering the other foods and when he is ready he will start weaning. :)

teebox01

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
I am not experienced with DYH but have a baby CAG which is 4 months and he still taking two feedings a day...at 3 months he was still on 3. the earlier day is light but the evening one is little less than a month ago. But he still wants his warm nite nite feeding. He is crunching seed and starting to eat soft foods. I have offered them to him since he was 8 weeks but he is just now really starting to take interest. so I would say hand feed that baby, all he wants.. at each feeding. And it might be he needs 3 a day if he is crying then he is hungry....keep offering the soft food and pellets, he will come around. I believe they will wean themselves. I woudl not push ........enjoy they grow up fast enough...

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Give him time. Some large birds can take up to a year to wean. You just have to be very patient with them.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yes, he just isn't ready yet. All birds go at their own pace, and some larger birds can take up to a year, like Ana said. He'll start trying out new foods when he's ready

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I guess I should add in there - my Cape parrot is a year old in a week and she still takes occasional feedings. (Up until about a month or so ago she was taking two a day).

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I guess I should add in there - my Cape parrot is a year old in a week and she still takes occasional feedings. (Up until about a month or so ago she was taking two a day).

I think we would make terrible breeders. :D

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Weaning Baby parrots Hope this article may help. Crying usually means a bird is hungry. I have a 74 day old scarlet macaw that I am also weaning. Food has been down on the floor of the cage close to a month now. Once he could pick at something I introduced food. I do use Kroger brand baby food that are puffs....blueberry, sweet potato and banana. All are soft and have a nice taste without too much added stuff. He is fed first thing in the morning and I then feed regular food. He immediately goes to picking at the food items which are interesting shapes and colors. Has a favorite squash, float a piece in water and they learn to find the water. If the food is not in plain site they will not hunt for it. The baby eats when I eat. I do have two other birds that he can watch eating. Now he climbs the bars and is perching...my heart is hanging in there so far. They will play with food before they eat. They learn how to manipulate the food in their mouth, with their foot and grow. AFter we are done there is always lots of snuggle time. This is what is working for us and I too get anxious even though I had done feedings before.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would have him vetted. I just looked up my records for my amazon babies and it looks like most of mine are really starting to dig into their food at around 85-88 days old give or take a few. If your bird is a little behind mine maybe because he was sold unweaned and a little stressed out, then I would think you should see him seriously starting to make food disapear by now. Or at least minimally crunching a bunch of food up and playing with it. Usually mine have been playing with their food and scattering it all over the floor a few weeks before they actually start eating it. By 3 months, mine have all been eating a little bit at least on their own. Sometimes a slight bacterial infection will cause them to wean slower or not at all. If the vet trip turns out that he is healthy, then start trying to get him to eat mashy food from your fingers. Things like cooked sweet potato mashed into clumps and mixed with a little banana, cooked rice or oatmeal. Also, sometimes it does help to get them started on eating on their own by giving them a small hand-feeding to take the edge off the hunger so they feel confident enough to eat on their own. Typically, my younger babies will go directly to the food bowl after a hand-feeding.

What are you offering him to eat? Things like parrot to macaw sized pellets are a good starter food. A lot of my babies have a hard time with the beak coordination needed to eat a lot of seed that young. Cherios are okay as introduction food until you see him really starting to eat a lot on his own. Frozen and microwaved until slightly warm peas and corn are good. They are just big enough to pick up with clumsy baby beaks and really squishy which they like. Offer a variety, but make sure they have access to some mid to large sized pellets and clumps or large pieces of soft veggies. Boiled carrots that are allowed to cook might be good to.
Is there any chance this baby is younger than you think it is? How trustworthy was the breeder?

Is there any particular reason you have him on 2 feeds a day instead of 1 or 3? If he's refusing a mid day feeding and that is why you dropped him to two, then that is normal. If you have him on two feeds a day because a breeder told you that is how often you're supposed to feed him and he's crying like crazy, I'd up him to at least a small meal during the day. Say around 15-20cc just to take the edge off and hopefully he'll go for his grown up food then. If he doesn't go for his grown up food and still begs like crazy then he might need to be at three feeds a day for now. How much are you giving him per feeding? Babies at this age can be strange. You can't really have a schedule. Some days they will want 3-4 hand-feedings and act desperate, and some days you can barely get two into them. I'd rather feed less food more often than a lot of food less often. Its not uncommon for me to throw in a third or fourth hand-feeding for a long time until they seriously refuse and go down to one before bedtime just for comfort. But at the three month mark, a decent number of those feedings are in the 15cc range with maybe one or two meals in the 30-50cc range. Depending on what they want that day. Don't chase him around trying to get him to eat, but if he's crying and really chugging down the formula then that tells me he wants more food. If he's seriously not even playing with adult food you either need to vet him or make sure he's able to eat what your offering. I usually wean my babies in low to the ground small dog style wire carriers. I keep the food bowl on the floor in a very shallow cat dish that is very easy access. Sometimes they don't have the coordination to both perch and eat at this age, so you need to make it super easy to get to.
Melissa

Last edited:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I had a yellow nape amazon for 14 years; and brought him home at 8 weeks old. He was on 2 feeds/day at that time, and weaned within 2 weeks. By weaned, I mean that he flat out refused formula, which was offered for 4-5 days after the first time he refused handfeedings.
Try cutting the fresh veggies and fruits differently. Another thing we did was put a towel on kitchen table, set down a bowl of fresh foods and let him play while you sit with him. Things to grasp & hold and taste, should be nothing but food items (no foot toys) They are curious by nature, so food presented in different ways is good!
If he's crying, he is hungry.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would just keep offering food, both formula and chopped veggies, grains, pellets. :) Each baby is an individual.:)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with all the others. Each bird is different, he's a large Amazon, and just may not be there yet. Patience, and feed that baby! It will happen. :D

I'd also go back to a 3rd small feeding for a bit, see if that soothes his crying some.

Any photos of your baby?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Diva weaned at 10 weeks. I've never had one wean that young since, but she refused formula. She would sometimes cry after weaning a little bit, but after about 10 weeks she would not take formula. The crying seamed to be more for warm veggies than for formula. Most of mine wean in the 3.5-4 month range with males weaning toward the later end.

Oops, and another thought. There was recently a big recall of Kaytee Hand-feeding formula that has caused problems with stunding and death. I don't think amazons are particularly prone to D3 poisoning, so it may just stress him out, stunt his development and make him feel yucky enough not to wean. At the top of this page I think is a link to information about the Kaytee recall. I hope your still reading on AA. I didn't noticed you post after the original, I didn't see this thread until yesterday.
Melissa

Last edited:

iSancho

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sammy
I have a 3 month old DYH Amazon that is on 2 hand feedings per day. The bird
doesn't show any interest at all in eating on it's own. I offer fruits, veggies,
and soften pellets. Whenever I am in view, the bird cries incesently and wants
to be fed. Regardless of wether he is full or not, he still cries as long as he
can see me. His weight is good. He's big, solid and has vibrant coloration.
Any ideas on how to get him to start weaning and curtail the crying?
I'm curious to find out how long did it take for you to wean your DYH amazon? My DYH amazon is about 3 months now according to the pet store and I am in the same situation. He cries for food almost every time I step into the room and that seems like it's every 2 hours or so. When I got him a month ago and I was told to feed him twice a day but when I brought him home he wasn't eating much of the formula that I just fed him formula only at night and during the day I fed him vegetables and fruits. Since I read some of the responses on here I started feeding him formula again in the morning but just a little and then he will eat boiled vegetables through out the day then I'll feed him more formula at night. He will eat a lot of vegetables if I feed him from my hand so for since he is my baby I will do that. But even with feeding him formula twice a day and he eats in between every 2 hours or so, he seems to eat so much. I doesn't eat seeds. He'll try a little pellets but it's not his favorite. Corn on the cob is his favorite but I don't offer it to him because I rather him eat healthier vegetables.

I think he's older than 3 months even though the pet store told me he's 3 months. I had his wings clipped at the pet store when I picked him up when I know I shouldn't have but I didn't know any better until after I brought him home. But he has learned to fly towards me when he gets tired of calling me for food. I think he's doing really well but its just that he seems to always hungry so often. His poop seems normal. but I read the urine should be clear and some times I think it's yellow. I hope he doesn't have an infection. I've only owned him for a month he's learned to give me high five, wave, step up, & turn around. Any update or response would be appreciated. Thank you. I'm a newbie.