• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dumping food bowls!!

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
If any of mine hear me saying anything about the food bowl nightmare dumpings they just do it more!!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Nothing works but Don's special SS bowl holders. Trust me, I have tried everything else. They are a bit spendy, but in the long run, they are way more economical than tossed food and broken bowls! Don is also a very wonderful guy, and super helpful. He can make these bowl holders to fit any bowl, but I recommend the ceramic crocks.

a. Bowl Holders - Don's Birds

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Nothing works but Don's special SS bowl holders. Trust me, I have tried everything else. They are a bit spendy, but in the long run, they are way more economical than tossed food and broken bowls! Don is also a very wonderful guy, and super helpful. He can make these bowl holders to fit any bowl, but I recommend the ceramic crocks.

a. Bowl Holders - Don's Birds

I was going to post about his bowls too but you saved me from writing it up, thank you. As far a I know, no bird has been able to get a bowl out of his holder.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
When I got home I was exhausted and my little model was already in bed. I checked the bottom of the bowls and couldn't find any brand marking. I think they're actually made for dogs/cats. Nice ands heavy! In any case here's what they look like:
image.jpg

Please forgive the pink smears on the towl. Rhubarb loves throwing her moring strawberry around like a mini Shot Put champion.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
When I got home I was exhausted and my little model was already in bed. I checked the bottom of the bowls and couldn't find any brand marking. I think they're actually made for dogs/cats. Nice ands heavy! In any case here's what they look like:
View attachment 199233

Please forgive the pink smears on the towl. Rhubarb loves throwing her moring strawberry around like a mini Shot Put champion.

These are great dishes, they are crocks which have been used to keep food cold and preserved for years.

So these are better then the traditional plastic or stainless dishes we use for our birds as they help keep food and water cooler and fresher, most important is they are durable and heavy which prevent fidlets from kicking flipping and knocking them over.

They are easy to clean tossing them in the dishwasher to sterilize them. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 199233

These are great! I've been using the small ceramic ramekins because I couldn't find ceramic dishes small enough. These are exactly what I'm looking for! No "lip" like the ramekins do. Now I just need to find some... lol. Do you know what size they are?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
At work again so I can't measure them now. :(

We got them at our local bird store about two years ago and I can't remember the brand for the life of me. After doing some hunting via google I think these may be the same: Spot Spot Stoneware Small Animal Dish Small Pet Bowls (SPOT Ethical Stoneware). The reviews certainly match up to my experiences with our bowls.

They are easy to clean tossing them in the dishwasher to sterilize them. :)
Yep! They fit nicely in the dishwasher and are super-sturdy.

The big one is to encourage bath times (which she never uses for that purpose, instead preferring it to be the great-food-dunk-tank-of-happiness). The little one is for the fresh food that will end up in her "bath" once she's not hungry enough to eat the less-favorite options.

Last edited:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
The big bowl is 9.5" across and the small one is 5" across.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
I am sorry, but I lol-ed at the thought of the little conure constantly dumping those larger-than-her bowls. :)

She's such a beauty, and she knows it! Hopefully you were able to figure something out!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm sure she's learned that dumping her dish is a great way to get you to come running!

The first year or so I had my GCC, I would give her a dish of orange juice on top of her cage every morning. She eventually learned it was great fun to tip over her orange juice - or at least to threaten to, to get me to come running. So I decided to punish her by not replacing her juice. If she dumped it, that was it for the day. A few days after that, she was tipping her orange juice from side to side threateningly, trying to get my attention. I reminded her that if she dumped it, she wouldn't get any more. The little brat looked right at me, and carefully poured HALF of her juice onto the floor and then set the dish down. Needless to say, after that, I made a dish holder for her cage so she couldn't spill any.

Heather F

Ha, when I go out of the room and don't flip my keyboard over, Frodo starts popping keys off and throwing them on the floor to summon me back. I realize now I should consider myself lucky!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I use very heavy earthenware human soup bowls. Cheap and cheerful but very hard for a caique to shove off a ledge

LOL

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Mine don't dump but do scratch like a chicken and all food is outside cage on floor and under grate in cage. I've tried everything but can not seem to break them of this bad habit.

Kimberla

Avenue Veteran
Don's stainless steel bowls and the holders he makes are amazing!!! They work great. When I had my greenwing, he couldn't even get it out of them.. They are pricey, but when you figure out how much food you save, it doesn't take much time to recoup the money!!!

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
Alex dumps his bowl every time he is fed. He will eat what he wants and then pulls the bowl out of the holder and dumps it. He is just like okay I'm done now clean it up lol. Even if the bowl is empty he throws it. Thankfully he does not dump his water bowl.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Titus takes great pleasure in pushing any food/water dishes to the floor - thankfully he hasn't figured out how to liberate his cage/feeder door bowls yet.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
When life gives you lemons.........

I use very heavy earthenware food bowls. Cheap and cheerful, and nothing gets thrown around.

The food loss is normal, nature trained them to throw down food. When I walk into the avairy, a flock of lovebirds will stream out from under the caique cages.

Recycling...its the modern way!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Also, those ceramic souffle bowls are great! Keep your eyes on the clearance racks. Much cheaper and just as heavy.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Beautiful GCC. I use very heavy dog dishes in Joey's cage. He can't tip them over.