• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drying after a bath

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower absolutely loves water. She especially likes to play in the sink. It is adorable to watch her splash around and put her head under the running water. She is always flying into the kitchen to ask to play in the sink. We don't always let her because then she has to dry off. We were thinking about getting her a blow dryer so we can dry her off more quickly. We don't want her to get too cold. Is this a good idea? What is the best way to dry off a bird?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Buddy, who started out angry at the shower, is now calling when he sees or hears Milton in the shower. I have a feeling I've created another "shower monster"...:backout:

conures

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
i have heard that it is not good to use a blow dryer im not really sure why but we dont use one we wrap them up in a little towel and just hold it around them loosely

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
IMO, I think it defeats the purpose of bathing.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I just let mine dry themselves off as long as there's no draft or anything. It lets them fix their feathers and keeps em busy for a good 30 minutes :hehe:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If they are showering in the same temperature they live in they are not getting cold.

There's nothing wrong with using a blow dryer. What you must not do is dry them "completely". If they've had a good soaking in the shower you can blow dry them until they are "damp" and let them dry "naturally" from there. This gives them the chance to groom and preen without having to wait hours to do so. Make sure your blow dryer doesn't have Teflon in it for safety reasons.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby loves the blow dryer and when it's cold in here after a bath I might use it. If it's nice and warm I might just let him air dry happily and preen. If it's colder then he's used to and he needs a shower I turn the heat up so he doesn't get a chill.
He also has a small ceramic heat lamp thing for when it gets cold at might. During the winter we keep it at 66 during the day and 60 at night and he's fine with it. Lurch before him, and Nerd before were fine with it too as they were acclimatized to it. I actually saw Nerd growling at the garage door with low 30's wind ruffelling his leg feathers and he was fine even though his feet were freezing, again he was used to it and I blocked the crack with a door cozy after that just in case. They can be pretty tough as long as it isn't a sudden prolonged change.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
There's nothing finer for Milton than sitting in the sun fluffed up and drying off....he loves it...:)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Not to be a Fear Monger, but someone mentioned that with hairdryers you needed to be sure the heating element wasn't made with caustic materials. It was in a thread that was talking about not using non-stick pots & pans. I'm not sure how reliable the information is though. It sounds like members use them without a problem.:)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I use a dryer sometimes if cheeky seems cold but it's a good idea to have your bird on your hand so you can make sure it's not too hot. Even on warm a dryer can burn if held too close