• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drum Roll... Tomorrow Evening Timneh Arrives

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
Gracie is beautiful!!! :heart::heart::heart:

My dream bird is an African Grey (CAG or TAG; I'm not picky, lol), so I live vicariously through those who have them. I'm really looking forward to more pictures and updates on Gracie! I'm sure she's going to bring you much joy and you her!

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
She's doing fantastic! She really settled right in. She is also doing really well with " step up" training.
She's as sweet as can be.
Thanks for asking, Pat. :)

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Gracie is beautiful!!! :heart::heart::heart:

My dream bird is an African Grey (CAG or TAG; I'm not picky, lol), so I live vicariously through those who have them. I'm really looking forward to more pictures and updates on Gracie! I'm sure she's going to bring you much joy and you her!
So why not get one? :D

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
So why not get one? :D
It sounds so simple! LOL. Space and money are my primary concerns right now though. I live in an apartment, and currently have a cat, who was once a stray and isn't afraid of anything (except the vacuum cleaner o_O). I'd rather not have a cat and a bird, even a Grey, in close quarters with each other with no real way to separate them. I wouldn't want to keep a Grey in my room as it needs more space than a 15' x 8' bedroom. Not sure how my mom would feel about having a bird as big as a Grey in the apartment either... sigh. I also don't have the funds needed to acquire and care for a Grey.

But, one day I will!

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Well... those are all valid reasons! Not sure if you have had a chance to peruse another thread where someone was asking about how grey's are as apartment birds, but if you ask me I can't think of a better one. I had a pionus who was touted to be a "quiet parrot" and even dubbed an "apartment bird" and she wasn't loud by any standards of the large macaws or cockatoos but my grey is considerably more quiet than she was. He's also a lot less demanding. She was the best bird I could ever ask for and I will always have a hole in my heart that she once made complete... but she constantly had to be on me. I didn't mind but I can see where some people might not enjoy that.

When Toby does make noise it is talking, some whistling, beeping and mimicking. He does not make "bird noises". Unless there is a towel, then you'd think there's a Velociraptor in the house. Other than that he is very pleasant and while he does like sitting on me and getting scritches it is not necessary that I do it for any certain, drawn out amount of time! He's mostly happy being out on top of his cage when we're home and every so often comes over for loving.

I used to live in a tiny house, I mean 300 sq ft. I had no problems with either of my birds and even two pit bulls. My dogs were inherently lazy but did get exercise, it was a happy place :).

The cat and finances may be an issue however. I got Toby for free, he was a neglected plucker and needed a home. He's not the prettiest but he is wonderful and beautiful in his way. I wouldn't have another!

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
The cat is the biggest reason I haven't actively gone searching (and saving up) for a bird. I currently have two god-fids, (a Green-Cheeked Conure, and a Blue-Throated Conure) though, who I will be looking after for 10 days in December. (I'll be bird and house sitting.) I can't wait!

I've heard that Greys can be great apartment birds as well, as they're not as loud as say, a 'Too. I used to have Budgies, so noise doesn't really bother me... Budgies don't seem to have an 'off' button, unless they're sleeping, lol.

I also don't know if I'm prepared for a Grey yet. It's been years since I've lived with birds of any kind. But like I said, one day I will acquire one, and maybe go the re-homing route. There are lots of birds who need loving homes.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
I LOVE budgie chatter... To me they sound like a bunch of old men bickering at each other. Cracks me up. I too was a little intimidated as he is the largest bird I've had, and while he's not mean in any sensr of the word he did take a while to open up. I've had him over two years I'm the only person that he will let scratch or step up from his cage. For some reason he has less reluctance to step up for other people from the ground. He's allowed a few pats here and there but really does not like other people touching him and he will let you know by vigorously shaking his head no and walking away from you while making a purring noise.

Mayhaps you can rehome the cat? :D LOL JK

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
I suppose the only way to know if I'm prepared for a Grey would be to just get one. This will happen one day. Perhaps when I am able to get a place of my own. I remember the bonds I had with my budgies, though they seemed to prefer my father. But, they were great fun. Perky would sit on the edge of a bowl of popcorn and start flapping her wings; popcorn flew EVERYWHERE! I miss them. There is something special about a bond between a human and a bird. I also love how expressive birds are in telling you what they want and don't want. I love how yours tells people he doesn't want them touching him.

Haha! Acorn may be a holy terror, but I'd never dream of rehoming him. He was at the Humane Society for over a month before we adopted him. He's found his furr-ever home.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Gracie is gorgeous. You are so lucky. CAG's are my absolute dream bird. Enjoy your sweet baby.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I would love a grey also -- I was going to get one. But I spent some time with one, and realized that their feather dust caused asthma problems. So I got Joey instead -- no regrets!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Ok - now I really want one. I want someone to have a really bad plucker and not have time for it. I'm sure the right one will come along. I don't think I should get one right away but if I see one...or one becomes available...I will just pretend that my life is stable.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Gracie is gorgeous! Just makes me want a grey that much more when we've settled down. :D

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a beautiful baby!!! Congratulations! Can I ask where you got that stand from? I really like it!

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
What a beautiful baby!!! Congratulations! Can I ask where you got that stand from? I really like it!
Thank you!!
The stand is from a chain in Southern Calif called Omar's. They have their parrots out on these. I asked if I could buy one and they said " yes".
I love it :)

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Here are a few more pictures of Gracie. I had her ails trimmed today for the first time. She was fine in the car, calm wile her nails were being trimmed and basically wanted to get back to playing with her toys in the carrier. Now that her nails are tolerable, I'm going to focus on her stepping up, for 10 minutes twice daily. She knows what it means, now but needs work. Not bad for 10 days. :). We really love her! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

When she is a bit older and more reliable, we will attach her play too gym to the cage. She had been flighted and had a gentle wing clip done a few weeks ago. We will allow her wings to grow out and she will be target/ recall trained.