• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dried Veggie - Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safira

Strolling the yard
I am sure this is somewhere on this forum, but I'm too lazy to go through all the threads that come up with search.

I got a 2lb bag of just veggies, from just tomatoes (My B& G LOVES it) But how can I store it? In an airtight container? in the freezer? In the fridge?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I store it in the bag it came in if its the ones with the ziploc style top, otherwise I just put it in a tupperware container

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Do you rehydrate them or just give them to your birds dried?

I've been wanting to get a food dehydrator for drying veggies/fruit as I'm not that good at keeping fresh ones long.

Safira

Strolling the yard
I just gave them the veggies the way they came ( after I taste tested, they're not bad!) My B&G LOVED it. My Green Wing was not so impressed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you rehydrate them or just give them to your birds dried?

I've been wanting to get a food dehydrator for drying veggies/fruit as I'm not that good at keeping fresh ones long.
I give them dry as part of their cage mix

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I keep food inside their original container and if they do not have a zip lock top, I use a clip to close the top after I fold it down twice. I then store the bags inside hard plastic storage containers, sometimes several different kinds of food in each container. The hard containers keep my lovebird from shreding the bags and helping herself. Also, Sunny will open her dried corn and pig out on every kernel she can get her beak on. Sunny only wants to eat the germ portion of the corn kernel, so I always have lots of corn kernels all with just one bite taken out of the bottom of the kernel where the germ formed!

Any dried foods I am not currently feeding from, I keep in large ziplock freezer bags in my freezer. No chance mice or rats or cats will get to my supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.