• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dremel vs Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
In reading Saroj's thread about drilling holes in bagels, I noticed a lot of you have Dremels.

In making bird toys, which option is better?
Why use a Dremel vs a drill?
Are you only talking about the BRAND NAME Dremel for your drill or do you mean an actual dremel.

I would think a regular small drill with several different bits would be more than enough to do what needed to be done in making toys for your fids. Am I wrong?

Please help me unmuddle my confuddled noggin!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ThatDarnBird

I was confused at first too. Dremel is brand name that makes a small rotary tool you can use with all sorts of attachments. There are other similar ones in different brands. I think it depends on what you want it for and what it most comfortable for you. The Dremel is probably the more popular brand.

Last edited:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Dremels and other high speed rotary tools are more often used for precision work, especially in arts and crafts. They operate at much higher rotational speeds and are great for cutting through dense materials. Drills tend to be larger and much slower but work great for renovation and construction. Use whatever you feel is best for the job at hand. It's as much a personal choice as it is a selection based on application.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
all my rotary tools are the Dremel brand, I have had others but do prefer the Dremel.

I am also probably not the one to answer your question, as I collect tools much like some people collect knick knacks!

I like my dremel for more detailed things, I am more likely to grab the drill (Dewalt here) if I just need to put a hole in something

As Titanis said, it is really more of a matter of preference.

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
OK, I'm a wood worker/carver and I have both a Dremel (The REAL Dremel) and a good drill. For precision small projects the Dremel is great. Easy to hold and use, Other brands of this type of tool should work fine. If your makeing med. to small toys this is what you want. For BIG stuff you will want a drill. It can take a much larger bit them a Dremel and has more power. Big chunks of wood for Macaws are best drilled with a full size drill. Be sure to clamp the wood to a work bench first or you might have them zipping across the room and wear safty glasses!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Thanks everyone. I figured it was the brand name as well as the tool. I know I need to get either one of the other and will have to keep an eye for what's on sale :)

TITANIS

Thanks everyone. I figured it was the brand name as well as the tool. I know I need to get either one of the other and will have to keep an eye for what's on sale :)
If there's a choice of only one, I would get a Dremel or other rotary tool. The ease of handling, number of attachments, range of applications, incredible precision and overall ability to remove material has no equal in a hardware repertoire.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I use a Drill. I am dangerous with hand tools.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a very interesting thread. Glad Babyreau posted it. :highfive:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't like drills after an incident, but it's the only thing I have to put holes in toys.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I don't like drills after an incident, but it's the only thing I have to put holes in toys.
you can get a hand drill that operates by a hand crank - that's the first drill that my Dad let me use when I was younger :hehe: and to my surprise, it worked quite well!

TITANIS

I want to emphasize what Barbara posted earlier that whatever power tool anyone decides to use even if it's for a small, fast job, always wear safety goggles. Anything can happen and it will when you don't expect it.

Last edited:

ThatDarnBird

Safety goggles= $5 Keeping your original eyeballs= Priceless.
:cool1:
Also remember Renae's drilled finger. Use a vise, don't hold it with your (or anybody elses) hand.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I want to emphasize what Barbara posted earlier that whatever power tool anyone decides to use even if it's for a small, fast job, always where safety goggles. Anything can happen and it will when you don't expect it.
any job just about needs safety glasses - learned that the hard way pulling up the carpet here:eek: - good reminder Titanis

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

you can get a hand drill that operates by a hand crank - that's the first drill that my Dad let me use when I was younger :hehe: and to my surprise, it worked quite well!

That's a good idea. I should go to the hardware and see if they have any.

I want to emphasize what Barbara posted earlier that whatever power tool anyone decides to use even if it's for a small, fast job, always where safety goggles. Anything can happen and it will when you don't expect it.
Note to self: I will buy goggles too!

Safety goggles= $5 Keeping your original eyeballs= Priceless.
:cool1:
Also remember Renae's drilled finger. Use a vise, don't hold it with your (or anybody elses) hand.
:hehe::rofl::rofl:

Seriously, lesson learned. :o: I will never do that one again!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Always clamp your work down to a table or work bench so it can't get away on you. Putting it in a vise is also a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.