• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drawing lines with beak?

Maybelline

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maybelline
My Loki (a female lovebird) loves drawing lines on surfaces with her beak. She seems to do that when there is a new environment, or her favourite environment, or when we try to get her to step up and she doesn't want to. In the last case, it comically looks as if she is drawing a boundary between us and herself ("do not cross this line I drew!").

The way she draws is really cute and funny, almost with purpose, as if she is writing words on the surface lol.

Sometimes she makes a tiny high-pitched and very short "mmm!" sound while she draws the line. Too cute!

If you want to see a video, there is one of her from this morning: Loki the Lovebird on Instagram: “"When I grow up, I want to be an artist!" I wonder what these actions mean! Any idea @feathered.kids ? . . . #lbloki #lovebird #lovebirds…”

Do any of your birds do the same, and any insights to why they do this? Thanks in advance!

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
That's so cute. Cheeky walks dragging her beak on the table sometimes , but nothing as unique as your loki

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh that's so cute. And she's so cute. No clue what it means.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Maybe Loki is trying to follow his shadow/reflection he see's in the surface. I have a tiel that does this also, especially in shiny surfaces where he easily sees his shadow.

Maybelline

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maybelline
Maybe it’s an invisible message you need to uncover. She sure is adorable.

I'll need to get her pen and paper so she can write her birdie message down for me. Lol!!

Thanks all for your replies. Loki really lives up to her name as full of mischief!