• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

drastic hairstyle changes

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
do any of you talk to or show your parrot a picture of the general hairstyle you're going to be coming home with so that they have an idea? I don't want Leaf to be mad at me or scared of my new hairstyle which is going to be quite drastic. my hair is currently almost touching my shoulders and I'm going to get this haircut:

FAF4578A-4D13-4054-8A57-678DA4611788-999-000000B4E9023CED.jpeg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I lopped off my hair, it was 39 inches long and now it's just below my shoulders,,,birds didn't even notice..:shifty::rolleyes::p

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think some birds are bothered by things like that, and others don't mind. Maybe you could pin it up for a few days before you get it cut so it's not too much of a shock. Cool hair cut btw!

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
FYI I've wanted that hairstyle for a while. I can't have it right now but I love that look for some reason. Change in hair color or shape never bothered my birds.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Cool style, I like it!
I think it really does depend on the bird. Does Leaf seem hyper aware about changes to you? Wearing your hair differently?
I like Deanna's idea of trying to mimic it with just styling to see if you can get her used to it in case she has a reaction. Even if it's just lumping your hair into a bun and seeing if Leaf notices. Also if it's your natural color I'd think Leaf would be less likely to notice.

I had Peanut when I was a teenager and did some experimental hair stuff. One day I went from having butt-length brown hair to neck length purple and dark red hair and I don't even think she noticed. If she did, she got over it quickly enough I didn't commit the incident to memory.
But wear one bandaid anywhere on exposed skin? Nope. It's terrifying when I forget I'm wearing one and Peanut spots it because the skin around it just becomes collateral damage.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Show him pictures! I share everything with my birds.

When I get dressed up I twirl in front of the birds asking 'am I pretty'?

I try out hair styles (like pony tails, updos, wigs, hats, scarfs) in front of them, show them any new color, etc...

I get excited and they do too.

If your bird is used to you asking their opinion, I'd hazard a guess they'll be fine.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
I just showed him the picture and asked him if he was okay with it and he started to do his little "brip" noise and asked for head scritches. I'll keep showing it over the week and then make an appointment with my hair stylist and get it done. he seems like he's okay with it! I really love sharing things I'm doing with him, he's got such a personality and I love making him feel like he's included and his opinion is wanted.

lately I've been sharing everything with him and we just sit and chat and it's so cool. it really feels like he's listening and taking it all in. it's like having a conversation with a person and it's just so amazing. he's got such a vivid personality and I can't wait for it to come out in full force once he's super comfortable! he's only been with me for a bit, so I'm sure he'll come out of his shell as he realizes that he's not going anywhere.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Birds are so funny. My conure is suspicious of me when I pull my bangs off my forehead or wear a new shirt. But she gets over it quickly. Cute hairstyle

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I think you will be fine ..my birds dont seem to mind the way I wear my hair at all ...love the style :)