• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Dora's progress.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Keep doing what your doing. Make sure she can do what she just did several times. Let her get comfortable with it. Then in a couple weeks you can try it without the treat. Thats how I did it with my bird :) Congrats !!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
this is how she is after around 3-5 months (could have been longer if I rushed things). I was on the verge of selling her at one point lol. Patience pays off.:pinklol3:

Good luck!:goodluck:

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
this is how she is after around 3-5 months (could have been longer if I rushed things). I was on the verge of selling her at one point lol. Patience pays off.:pinklol3:

Good luck!:goodluck:
She's very cute!

Mine was sold to me at a very good price by somebody who did give up on her. She was so wild when I got her that sometimes when I'd go to change her water or clean her cage she's trash about in her cage so violently she'd bloody herself. Two or three times I was scared if she'd live overnight and seeing the blood drawn, although it didn't look like much it got on the cage bars. And I wondered well how bruised is she on her body if she's drawing blood by flinging herself about so violently?! And in doing so, she'd lose the flight feathers so that's what must of happened at the previous place(s) when they tried to tame her too. She was already flightless when I got her and they told me her wings wasn't clipped bit I didn't think she could lose any more flight feathers but the 3 or 4 that she still had.

Also, the original owner, not the pet store I bought her from, must of taught her how to wolf whistle. The 1st day I heard it I was very surprised. She did in the morning at wake up time, I thought I was hearing things. Then it's been like a week or two and she hadn't done it since so I thought maybe she really didn't wolf whistle but the this morning she wolf whistled again so now I'm sure she did. However, she hasn't wolf whistled while I'm in the room as she generally quiets down when I enter the room. That is making me wonder if she used to be tame. She is 3 years old I was told.

Can anyone suggest a way to get her to wolf whistle while I'm in the room? There she goes whistling again! That's funny hearing a bird do that.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Dora used to whistle and sing and chatter when no one was in the room, so what I used to do was hide somewhere (far away from the cage) and made sure she couldn't see me or my shadow. Then as soon as she starts confidently and consistently whistling, singing, etc. I would slowly come out and not make any eye contact. That, coupled with getting her used to you being close to her cage will probably do the trick.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Also, since you may have to wait a while, I suggest turning on the TV and watching it while hiding, or using it to cover up noises from your phone (if u get bored) or you if u sneeze or cough.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good job!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Good news, she now steps up without the treat in sight! Considering the short time between stepping up, and this, I don't think that she has never been tame before. The previous owner said that she's never been tamed and that he used to let her fly anywhere at any time, but I'm growing a bit suspicious.:cautious:

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Good news, she now steps up without the treat in sight! Considering the short time between stepping up, and this, I don't think that she has never been tame before. The previous owner said that she's never been tamed and that he used to let her fly anywhere at any time, but I'm growing a bit suspicious.:cautious:
woo!!! :)

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Not necessarily, once they decide to trust you they do. I had a cockatiel when I was a boy get tame after biting the heck out of me again & again while sitting on the cage floor rocking side to side hissing just by putting one of my mom's used yellow rubber dishwashing gloves on her perch. That cockatiel was tame by the next day. I couldn't believe it!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Now, she approaches me (even if she doesn't see a treat) waiting to step up. She also isn't in any rush to get off of my hand anymore. I can also move her towards the treat instead of the treat towards her and she has no issue whatsoever. She doesn't slightly lift her wings away from her body when she's on my hand. I guess the rest will come by itself.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Dora, as you kniw, flies over to me. I left the room, and she flew over to her cage. I came back, and she swiftly followed. I love her. She's also much more comfortable with step up. I put some seed in my hand (she never gets seeds) and asked her to step. I slowly moved her away from her perch and she stood there. eating. After she finished she flew back. I felt so happy.