• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My trick is to make noises. So if you see pics of me with my birds, I´m usually making clicking sounds :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try using a noise you use often with him when interacting. I click with my birds a lot so when I click they stop and listen and I quick snap that pic :lol:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just wish he'd stand still for the photos. It took 8 fails just to get this blurred pic.
Yea, I have that same problem w/ Buddy. Wow, his color is getting so vibrant! As he's growing in his new feathers you are going to have to watch out, your parrot is going from pink to red.... :hmmm:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Clicking is scaring him off so still no really great photos of him, so I'm still grabbing pics from a distance and zooming.
Chop Face:
DSC_0070~2.JPG

We are making progress though. It used to be I could only sit within 4ft of the front of his open cage before he would display his displeasure with what appeared to be a territorial display - strutting with his head high and his wing's lifted slightly along that rope perch you see in that photo.
Today we got that down to 2ft without a display. He stayed on his low perch next to the cage door with no signs of distress, and he even gave me a couple of head bobs with peeps. I've watched many videos and this is a normal flock/friend behaviour. He's peeping at me right now because I've gone in the kitchen to type this. Must get back, we're on a roll.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Definitely don't beat yourself up for this little setback, your intentions in introducing him to a possible companion were/are all good. He loved Tau and you just want to give Roger another friend. He's looking great, even though you say you can't get a good shot, he's really gorgeous!

Dorcas George

Just catching up. I'm so sorry for the distress and the setback but glad it turned out to be relatively minor and the plucking doesn't seem to be an issue. Hooray! He certainly is beautiful. I agree that you should just keep posting whether it is a long thread or not! We are all rooting you and Roger on! :hug4:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've found his treat at last. We'd tried peanuts in the shell before and he would just chew the shell to dust and drop the nuts. Great game!
I fancied some myself but I wanted them roasted. 25 minutes in the oven in the shell and I just threw him a cool one. I've never seen him even nibble a peanut, but he gobbled these down. I can proper bribe him now :without8ball:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wish I could draw and then color him as is. I just love his feather colors. He must be amazing in person.
Despite the restricted contact we have he is still a great entertainer. I'll have to set up a camera trap for a closer pic I think. But yes, I love his colours too.
Just to remind everyone how we are set up here's an updated pic of his corner
DSC_0080.JPG

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Very nice. Wouldn't you like some of John's latest creations for the lucky birds.
I'd be lucky to get them over here ;)
I'm actually quite handy and I do some voluntary work alongside a builder so no problem with materials. I have some ideas, no plans yet. Maybe it's time I got off my backside and did something lol

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well that's the paperwork done. Roger is officially a member of my family. John the vet will be calling in this afternoon for a final (free) health check so Roger is currently locked out of his cage with food in his travel cage. We'd both rather use the trap method than the chase and towel method - less stress for all. So long as everything is well this'll be the last contact between them :angel1:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A strangely ironic turn of events.
Roger has been with the vet since Wednesday. Nothing wrong with him at all. We both felt it would be easier to take Roger to the surgery to meet potential friends, rather than carting them all the way here just to return them. We tried tiels, kakariki, conjures, even a rescued blackbird and a magpie. Needless to say none are coming home.
However, this afternoon we welcome 2 new beaks to the flock. Maybe I'll have a little fun with this though, so rather than tell you what they are (so long as I don't mess up) I'll just drop a photo when they're settled.
These new guys were not chosen for what they are or their gender. They were chosen because Roger never showed any fear of them and vice versa. He just begged them for scritches and they obliged. Roger also returned the favour.
We felt he needed friends because he started the barbering when Tau left us. Roger's trip went without the loss of a single feather so distraction works, meaning this behaviour is likely behavioural

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhhh lovely news! Although terrible for us because now you have piqued our curiosity and making us wait! :lol::hmmm:

Can't wait to see your 2 new additions! I'm not gonna guess though, I'm rubbish at it haha.