• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doing dove research

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
And considering a dove as a new family member and am wondering which sex makes a better , more quiet pet? Male or female? And which species ?
Thanks in advance

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
There are a few members on here with doves..hopefully, you can get some help. @Birdbabe

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ive had and still do have doves, One mourning dove , and one ringneck dove, both are girls, but Ive had boys too. Theyre all pretty quiet , but do coo at times. Both are loving and will sit in your lap or hands to be petted for HOURS,,,,:hehe: They are girls so , as all girls, there are eggs to deal with. Once, my ringneck was eggbound and it was scary! But she obviously made it, and the little pesky featherball is still with me. They eat the cockatiel seed mix, the tiny Zepreem fruitie pellets, scrambled eggs, broccoli florets and crumbled cornbread, as well as crumbled cuttlebone,,,oh and Chloe (the ringneck) loves chopped up pasta. :p They have the run of the house and are only in sleeping cages at night,,,They sleep in little towel "nests" rather than on a perch, they dont get night fright,,,but will coo during the night occaisonally. They really are a gentle quiet bird to have around ....Chloe is sitting on my head as I type this...:rolleyes:

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
Thanks so much Birdbabe! I found a breeder as there are no rescues in my area.... She has beautiful handfed babies and I think I'll purchase from her. I can't wait they sound wonderful and just what I'm looking for in a bird ! :)

pixie603

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
we use to have a white ringneck dove groving up. His name was lovin' dove lol we weren't very creative.
I'm not sure about which sex is better, but our guy was very cuddly and loved everyone's attention. they are very calm birds and we really enjoyed having him!
The remind me of feathered rabbits....I think they make great pets!

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
Also, should I get 1 or 2? I want it to bond to me but they seem they bond to each other but still like attention from their people as well?