• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Recall Lead Getting Tangles

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Anyone know how I can fix this issue? I've been trying to work on recall training with my dog so I bought a 5m leash, but he keeps tripping on it and getting stuck. I'm not a fan of retractable leads due to how much they snap- but i'd be open to good brands. Any ideas?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Do you have a photo of the lead? Sometimes the material can be prone to tangles.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I used an old cotton horse lunge line when I did recall training with my dogs. I agree with @Xoetix in that different materials can be more prone to tangles. I also think you will have more problems with the retractable than you will with just a long line. It will take a little time for your dog to get used to dragging the line especially if it is heavy (or the dog is small)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Do you have a photo of the lead? Sometimes the material can be prone to tangles.
Sorry, took me a minute to get around to these replies. I believe its polyester.
1700000937109.png 1700000959644.png

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I used an old cotton horse lunge line when I did recall training with my dogs. I agree with @Xoetix in that different materials can be more prone to tangles. I also think you will have more problems with the retractable than you will with just a long line. It will take a little time for your dog to get used to dragging the line especially if it is heavy (or the dog is small)
I'll have a look at lunge lines, I never thought of that.