• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dog attacked by red-tailed hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

amina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I visit avian avenue often but rarely post but tonight I needed to warn other small dog owners. Yesterday afternoon my Chihuahua was attacked by a hawk in my backyard. Thank god my husband just happened to look out the window and saw it happen. He ran into the yard yelling and when he got about three feet away, the hawk flew away. My dog was very frightened, but appeared to be unharmed. This morning, her eye was swollen and she was very lethargic. We took her to the vet. She had already developed an infection in her eye. She had a fever. The vet said her cornea was lacerated and ulcerated. We were sent to animal hospital about an hour away to a veterinarian ophthalmologist. She is on an antibiotic, pain medication, and two different eye drops which hopefully will cure infection, heal cornea and prevent surgery. We are so lucky when we think what might have happened. My dog is always in our yard and we've never had any problems with wild animals. She'll never be out their alone again! She is laying next to me now, wrapped in a blanket, and I'm just so grateful she will be ok.
Please be careful with your small dogs, this is something I never imagined could happen.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Wherabouts in Jersey did this happen? When I lived in the Pococono Mountains, a neighbor lost their Pom to a hawk, he just snatched the little dog while the 13 year old was walking it, leash and all.:eek:
So glad your chi will be ok!:hug8:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
We have eagles at my house and one had grabbed a full size cat and flew off rite down the road. So yea no cats allowed outside in our naborhood.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
All of your posts equally horrify me!!! Isnt there enough food in wild life? Shocking to take a dog on leash. Just plain bold. There must not be enough food.:omg:

And, Amina, glad your dog will be ok:hug8:

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
And yet there are people who insist that their parrots couldn't possibly be at risk from hawks....

Fast healing to your little girl, Amina. :hug8:

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
I have a three pound chihuahua and I worry about this a lot! For the past few days there has been a huge osprey right in my front yard sitting on the neighbors privacy fence. I freaked! She is so little she doesn't walk on a leash. Its so scary I don't know what to do about it. :(

Hope your baby is feeling better soon!

ThatDarnBird

You have to be careful of owls too. I hope your little dog heals up well and is ok. I'm so glad your husband got there in time!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I hope she heals quickly. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Luna

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the heads up / warning..

I always let my Pom wander around out in the backyard and sometimes take my eyes off him. From now on I won't!

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry about your pup, healing thoughts!

I must admit a while back I watched videos of great horned owl "attacks", seeing one go for a German shorthair impressed me in a strange way! Being an Aussie I never knew owls got that darn freaking huge!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I hope your dog heals fast! Poor baby. :hug8:

I have a three pound chihuahua and I worry about this a lot! For the past few days there has been a huge osprey right in my front yard sitting on the neighbors privacy fence. I freaked! She is so little she doesn't walk on a leash. Its so scary I don't know what to do about it. :(

How about a fenced roofed kennel type area outside? At least it would be safer. Your bigger dogs may help keep the predator at bay too if they all go out at the same time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow, that is really scary, so glad he will be okay, hopefully he heals well and won’t need surgery. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
What a scare! We do not experience anything like that in Britain, but having said that foxes are our biggest worry and also a large black "cat" is roaming and taking animals. they are thinking it has either got loose from its home or zoo and has to take the animals to survive.
Stay vigilant, safe and warm wherever you are.:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh no, I am so sorry. I'm not surprised, I have heard of very small dogs being attacked or even taken by large birds like hawks and owls. So glad your little one will be okay.:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Ospreys are almost exclusively fish eaters. Probably no threat to your dog. But our pets are easy prey to these flying predators.

I am so sorry your dog was injured and sending warm fuzzy hugs and positive healing energy your way.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope your dog is feeling better soon! How scary! :eek:

We have an owl that hangs out in our yard, and when we take little Lily out for last potty before bed we hear that thing screech! Oh, it is the eeriest sound. I scoop Lily up and run inside with her! She is just at 10 pounds and very small, and white...she probably looks like a bunny!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)

My Lola was 3 pounds, Tiki and Zoey are 5 and Alli is around 6 1/2. I could never walk them with collars and have always used harnesses. There was at least 3x's in Lola's life that she was 'saved' by my having to swing her up into my arms when we were charged by big dogs. I have no doubt she would have been seriously hurt any one of those times.(One of them, I had to hold her high over my head while a big yellow lab jumped on me and tried to knock me down to get at her)
***Not that I'm advocating swinging a dog or any other animal around on a leash with a harness(I have seen peeps do it to get a dog up the stairs faster:mad:) but in my situation, if I had simply bent down and scooped her up, I have no doubt I would have been knocked down and I don't want to even think about what wuld have happened then.:(

illuminati

Walking the driveway
When I was little, I always had a fear of one of them swooping me up lol

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Sorry to hear your little dog went thru this! So Glad your husband saw what was happening so quickly.
Please keep us posted on the recovery!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ohmygosh...sure hopeyour doggie will be ok!!!!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.