• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dog and a Baby bird

Trevor Jeffs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor Jeffs
So my sister was At work today And one of the dogs that she works with found a nest tore it down killed the mother and the other babies but she saved 1And she's now trying to save it any suggestions on what to do to try to help her she lives in a different town 300 miles away from me and I can't be there to help her received_1611004742355071.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Take it to a vet. Mine has a wildlife fund and will accept cases like yours. Of course if you can, you can pay for the appt.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could check here for advice about feeding a baby bird: Starling Talk: The Care and Feeding of Injured and Orphaned Starlings The info here is good for other birds besides starlings. I used the baby bird formula recipe to feed the baby house sparrow I rescued.
Does she know what kind of bird it is?
Hope your sister is able to help the little one or get it some place where it can be helped.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Call yout department of natural resources DNR. Tell them you trying to find rehabber in the area she lives in

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the little baby will be okay! Thank you and your sister for helping this poor little bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If she's wanting to take care of it herself, 1. heat 2. get kaytee baby bird formula at the pet store and 3. get a syringe. It is not a new baby, it's at least a week or 2 old so it'd be kinda hard to get it to recognize formula as food but it can be done.

Trevor Jeffs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor Jeffs
Sadly the little thing passed at 9am this morning

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So sorry.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am so very sorry, probably was shock. Thank you and your sister for trying to help the little guy.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awww - I'm so sorry. I can imagine it would have been a very difficult thing to save one that young. You sure tried!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so very sorry.:(

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
If she's wanting to take care of it herself, 1. heat 2. get kaytee baby bird formula at the pet store and 3. get a syringe. It is not a new baby, it's at least a week or 2 old so it'd be kinda hard to get it to recognize formula as food but it can be done.
For the future, kaytee baby bird formula will kill wild birds. So sorry it passed, it was in shock. Next time try and get it to a wildlife rescue as soon as possible.

Trevor Jeffs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor Jeffs
For the future, kaytee baby bird formula will kill wild birds. So sorry it passed, it was in shock. Next time try and get it to a wildlife rescue as soon as possible.
Yesterday was a holiday not many places open

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Untrue, it was formulated for psittacines and passerines.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Untrue, it was formulated for psittacines and passerines.
It’s not formulated for passerines at all. I am a wildlife rehabilitator, and passerines need an extremely high protein diet that is just not replicated by a more herbivorous parrots formula. They will starve slowly to death on any parrot formula, it’s one of the worst things you can give a baby songbird (other than maybe plain water). I hate how most pet bird formula companies say “for all baby birds” as that’s just blatantly untrue.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I will go find all the baby birds I have fed and let them know. ;)

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I will go find all the baby birds I have fed and let them know. ;)
I’m serious. I’m glad you have had succes with it, but it is NOT okay in the long run and it should not be recommended. It can and will kill them. Think about what a baby starling eats in the wild. All insects, right? How many insects will a baby gouldian finch or parrot eat? Much, much less, their diet is mostly seeds, fruits and veggies in the wild. It’s like having a dog eat grass and expecting it to thrive.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would much rather someone fed them Kaytee for 12-24 hours and kept them alive while hunting for a wildlife rescue . What I see people doing is feeding them bread soaked in milk. For some reason that's what everybody thinks they should give baby birds.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
The problem is that many people don’t know how to feed a baby bird and will very easily drown them due to the placement of the trechea. It’s always easier to call a wildlife rescue (no matter how far the rescue is) or game warden, and get advice from there. If you are really forced to feed, then cat food soaked in water will do the trick, but it’s always better to contact an expert and get advice from there.