• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Doesn't want to back in cage

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
So this behavior is new over the last few months. Douie is my male Senegal parrot. A couple of times I have had a difficult time getting him back in the cage. When he flies to me if I reach for him he flies away. He has tried to actually bite me. I tried a perch that doesn't work either. Usually I just outsmart him.
Today he outsmarted me. I couldn't get him back in the cage. He even screamed when I tried to get him. It usually works that he will fly back and forth to me and eventually I am able to get him (gently). I actually do not get him and put him right back in because I don't want him to associate me touching him and then putting him back. But sometimes I have to like today I had to leave him out. I've never done that before.
This is how I left him!

Attachments

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Odin does the same thing. He won't scream, but he flies away and then he does try to bite. When I HAD to leave and put him away, I towel him. He doesn't like it and neither do I but sometimes it has to be done. When I CAN leave him be, I do. When Loki goes to bed, he will go in too. Or at supper time. I am interested to see what others' say. :)

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
My daughter bribes her Senegal back in his cage with Nutriberries.
Tigger gets nippy when I try to coerce him to step up and he doesn't want to go back into his cage. But his surefire bribe is a pistachio or bite of almond. I just put it in his treat bowl and he scrambles in after it!

The GCC I'm fostering wants to stay attached to my shoulder. Especially when it's time to go back in his cage. But he will almost always step up for a sunflower seed or some special treat.

Find something that makes it worth his while! Good luck!

Heather F

We have had Frodo going on two years now and he still needs to be bribed to go back in. It got easier once we put a short perch on his door so we didn't have to be actually reaching inside HIS territory. A single safflower is enough to get him in, but he has to see it in my hand before he will step onto the perch for it, the little butt. He has me well trained.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My two tiels go back to their cage for Millet. Just a little piece every time, they don't even need to see it. It's just become a habit now. My BE2 will go back for a cashew. All I have to do is put the cashew container on the table next to his cage and in he goes. This only works, however, if he has been out for at least 20 minutes. I guess he figures if it's been too short it's not worth it! Maybe start target training them to get them to go where you want.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I train Eloy to go back in his cage, he gets treats and me telling him what a good boy he is.
It took some time to train him, but so worth it! :)
And their is nothing wrong to bribe them, as long as it's working. :)

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I throw out whatever food mine has in his bowl and add new ones. He can't resist so then once he's peacefully eating I close the cage and he doesn't care one bit because he's happy and he knows ill take him out later.

RocketBo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bobo
Cookie was like that 3 years ago. The cage was nothing but isolation and loneliness for him, because all he wants was me. Tried food bribe, it only works when he is hungry, but he usually has dinner with us so he is never hungry when he has to go in. I can only put him back when he fall asleep on my lap two hours after sunset without having to play the chase game. I started to leave him out so often that eventually I got rid of the cage lol. Roger and Pip just come back into the house (a big cage in a sense?) so they get food and snuggle. If there is something they want they will go there. Whenever you leave him out shut his cage door until he is ready to go in for food might work for a while? I did this to Peanut several times when he refuse to leave the study (and he got locked in/locked out of the rest of the house for a few hours), now he knows to fly back to birds room.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Take the food away prior to letting him out. And then offer food and treats when putting him back.

Reeny

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
They are all great ideas! He was fine when I got home was worried about him. The other birds were fine too. I just felt badly for him he didn't really eat at all today. It was almost dusk when I got home. I did get him in he ate a few seed and fresh but he goes to sleep with the sun.
I did put a perch on his door it might work.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Bribery!!!! and have no shame about it! keep pistachios, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, "Grab small handful and make sure they see it in your hand and make sure they are watching as they hear their favorite flavors go bing, bing, bing, into their dish... most will go in quick ...the stubborn ones up to an hour... mine have authored books that made #1 seller list : "Train your Human Well"
& have your favorite foods served in the process"

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
When we are going out we set up lots of foraging toys in the cages. The birds are in the habit of expecting to find fun stuff in the cage when they are asked to go in there and are always happy to comply. They just get a treat if we are only putting them away for short periods, but they always have pellets to forage for in their cages.
We swear by foraging to resolve almost any issue ;)

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Kiki, my Senegal does not like going into her cage either, and to be honest I can't say that I blame her. But it seems to me that part of the problem is that most people that have this problem tend to ask the bird to step up and them lock them up in their cage. So I ask her to step up and she doesn't know if I am going to walk around with her, put her on the play area on top of her cage, in her cage or what. The result is that she is always ready to step up for me. I never have to chase her down and most of the time if I call her she flies right to me. I always give her an almond when I put her in the cage or she refuses to step off of me and will hold on to my finger for all that she is worth. Bribery to the rescue. Bribery is a good thing.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch is the same way, usually we just wait him out and close the door when hes too comfy to bother to try and bolt for it, and yes he try to lunge and bluff too. Sometimes if I HAVE to get him in a use a pillow and he gets mad at that and I herd him like a cat towards the door and he goes in after some complaining as he knows he wont win.
Bribes of favorites used to work but he smartened up pretty quick so usually he knows when it's bed time and refuses to go get them.
Sometimes if I have time I sit beside his cage and eventually he gets curious about what daddies up to and hops on my knee, if I'm lucky he'll get some scritches then allows me to gently get him to the door. Sometimes yes I have to towel him but that's a last resort as I don't want him thinking going in when we want is a bad thing either.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Since I learned to take Kiki to several different spots instead of going directly to the cage, she doesn't know why I am asking her to step up so she steps up for me without any problem. I do have to bribe her to get her to step down when I put her in the cage and she doesn't want to be there. I never herd her or towel her to get her in because of the factthat she knows that I might be taking her on a walk or asking her to step up for play.

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
What do you do when your bird is not interested in food of any kind? It sure makes training impossible and difficult as well to get back into their cage.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I would start by finding out what foods your bird likes the most and pick that food out and reserve it for treats only. The item that he consistently picks out and eats first is his favorite. Now I don't feed my birds high protein foods until their evening meal instead I let them have fruits and vegetables as well as cooked whole grains for breakfast and for all day long. This makes my birds ready to take treats for training or for enticing them to go into their cage.

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
I would start by finding out what foods your bird likes the most and pick that food out and reserve it for treats only. The item that he consistently picks out and eats first is his favorite. Now I don't feed my birds high protein foods until their evening meal instead I let them have fruits and vegetables as well as cooked whole grains for breakfast and for all day long. This makes my birds ready to take treats for training or for enticing them to go into their cage.
I'm curious what high protein do you feed your birds. I do the seed and pellet, fruits and veggies. You got me wondering on protein. My bird is so scared he won't take any food from me period. So I guess I just can't train him. Too bad I'm at a loss.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Actually, I cook for my birds, they get a cooked mixture of approximately 40% whole grains, 40% mixed vegetables and 20% white beans and lentils. They get this mixture for breakfast and for all day nibbling along with a fresh raw fruit, vegetable and leafy green and then they get a good quality seed mix for dinner and depending on the size of the bird I give one or two almonds except for the parrotlets and budgies which I chop their almond up so that they get about a half of an almond each. The seed mix and the almond are the only high protein foods that they get. Watch to see what your bird picks out of your seed mix first and second as these are his favorites and pick them out of the mix to use only for treats. You can also use almond slivers for treats and if they like millet then you can use sprig type millet for a treat. The sprig type millet works best wile they are new to taking treats from you as you can offer it to them through the bars of the cage and break a small portion of it to drop in their seed cup if they don't take it from you at first. I never take a treat back once it has been offered as I think that it is important for them to learn that when I offer them something that it is theirs and that I will not take it back. I think that this simple act helps in gaining their trust.
Breeder birds from a commercial breeder are treated much different than are companion birds and this difference does nothing to earn their trust and in fact teaches them that humans can't be trusted. This is why they are so scared of humans, everything that happens in their world in which humans are involved id done to them regardless of how much they protest it. This is the type of conditioning that you are up against and why it is so hard to earn their trust. You can turn this around but you must not get discouraged, you must be consistent in trying to win their trust and you have to be patient because you can't push them at all as this what created this level of distrust in the first place, You have to listen to the bird and allow the bird to progress at their own pace. To be honest with you if you don't have their trust you don't have anything as everything good that can happen depends on this trust. I understand exactly what you are going through as I have a retired breeder myself that I am working with to earn his trust and it is not easy. One of the benefits to this is that when you finally do win them over you will be that much better at caring for your birds and will understand them that much better. Talk to me through PMs, or here on the open forum and share your difficulties and successes when they occur no matter how small they appear to be and I will share mine with you if you want, I will try to help you to not get discouraged if I can. I watch my Rajah and can see how caring and how intelligent he is while he is interacting with his new mate Keeta as well as watching him playing with their toys and can see his mind at work solving problems and can only imagine what a great relationship we can have together when he finally decides to start trusting me.