• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doesn't play, only eats and sleeps:(

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
I'm so worried about new Parrotlet whose wings were clipped too much, so he can't fly at all:( I got him a big cage and lots of toys, but he doesn't play, he only eats and sleeps. He's depressed, and I'm depressed. Do you think he will get better when wings grow out? His cage is in my room, where I always am. But no other birds. I wonder if things will get better or worse:(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds don't know how to play! And I have noticed my small birds have never really took to pet shop toys as they were too hard of woods.

Here's some tips and tricks I've used over the years :)

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Thank you Mizzely~it's so kind of you to respond. I "sent for " little bird" against my better judgement. And thought breeder would know how to clip wings just right...so he could fly a bit, just not soar! This is so sad to see, and it's my fault. I am afraid for this little guys health, eating and sleeping and that 's all. I don't know if he will live long enough for his wings to grow out. Right now, I am devastated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you had a vet visit at all to rule out any health issues and for peace of mind?

Eating, drinking, and sleeping, especially when they are in a new home, can be normal. But if he seems to be sleeping a lot, then that may be more than just "depression".

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Thank you:) I haven't taken him to the vet yet, but I will if he doesn't perk up. I assumed that a breeder would know how to partially clip wings, and just feel terrible about this, it's very sad.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
My p'let likes to destroy things. Her favorites are sola wood, mahogany pods/pieces, and seagrass mats (Super Bird Pickin' Pocket is a favorite). With clipped wings it will be up to you to try to play with him and teach him to engage. If he is hand tame, handle him often with gentle scritches and snuggles, let him know he's a part of your flock (you!).

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
My p'let likes to destroy things. Her favorites are sola wood, mahogany pods/pieces, and seagrass mats (Super Bird Pickin' Pocket is a favorite). With clipped wings it will be up to you to try to play with him and teach him to engage. If he is hand tame, handle him often with gentle scritches and snuggles, let him know he's a part of your flock (you!).
I am so concerned about him---he doesn't want me to reach him out of the cage, and I hate to scare him, but he needs to come out and get some exercise walking on my bed etc, and learning not to be afraid of me. Should I scare him by getting him out of the cage and handling him? Also I need to clean his cage soon, so I don't know what to do!! I will look for these "destroy toys" as he has gotten more active in his cage.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your bird is just new- they are all a little extra quiet when still new to a change in environment and owner.

You said this: "I am afraid for this little guys health, eating and sleeping and that 's all. I don't know if he will live long enough for his wings to grow out."

It is always advised for any new bird we bring home to go to the avian vets to have a health check- very common for birds to become unwell when they move environments as the stress really dampens their immune system. I recommend an Avian vet check sooner rather than later given your situation and description of your bird.

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Mizzely--Thank you---I will make vet appointment. He is doing much better, chirping, moving around the cage---but this lack of wings has me so undone that I need vet to see him and get advice about handling him. He doesn't want me to bring him out of cage, I need advice on how to handle that. And on his inability to fly:( Is it OK if I snatch him up to put him in travel cage to go to vet? It's a "cost-benefits" issue!! I should not have gotten a little bird--I'm old and won't outlive him. Feel so bad about it all.

Last edited:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
You can use a towel to put over him to transfer him into his travel cage for the vet visit.
He may fuss while you're doing it, but it's over so quickly, and he won't get hurt that way.
I hope all goes well for you both at the vet.
Please keep us updated :)

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Icey~Thank you so much for your reply. I am so afraid of scaring this tiny bird, and that could end up meaning that he is never hand-tamed, always a caged bird:( He is getting much chirpier every day. But he does not want to come out of cage or be snatched up. Someone told me that it is crucial now (he's 3 months old) that I hand-tame him, or he will never be tame! He's not afraid of my hand--but afraid of being snatched up. Not much interested in coming out of cage----but since he can't fly, why would he!
Shouldn't I put a handkerchief over him, put him in smaller cage, and take him to vet? If I never "scare him" he may end up afraid of everything~~and that 's no good, is it? Thank you! MJ

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
For what it's worth, my parrotlet is not hand tamed, was an adult re-home who was too scared to come out of the cage, scared to death of hands, and had every single one of her flight feathers cut.

It took her two months to get brave enough to climb out of her cage on her own. Today she is still not hand tamed, but she spends lots of time outside her cage, on the play gym and stuff, and she returns to her cage on her own. She visits me on my shoulder often, but no touching! I say this because please don't give up or define what will happen, you are just at the beginning of an as yet to develop relationship.

I spent lots of time sitting by her cage and talking to her, humming, reading out loud, getting her to eat from my fingers from between the bars. Basically showing her I could be trusted. I have had to grab her along the way for the vet a couple times, no permanent harm done from that unpleasantness. I'd also suggest using a face cloth or light hand towel to do the deed.

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
For what it's worth, my parrotlet is not hand tamed, was an adult re-home who was too scared to come out of the cage, scared to death of hands, and had every single one of her flight feathers cut.

It took her two months to get brave enough to climb out of her cage on her own. Today she is still not hand tamed, but she spends lots of time outside her cage, on the play gym and stuff, and she returns to her cage on her own. She visits me on my shoulder often, but no touching! I say this because please don't give up or define what will happen, you are just at the beginning of an as yet to develop relationship.

I spent lots of time sitting by her cage and talking to her, humming, reading out loud, getting her to eat from my fingers from between the bars. Basically showing her I could be trusted. I have had to grab her along the way for the vet a couple times, no permanent harm done from that unpleasantness. I'd also suggest using a face cloth or light hand towel to do the deed.

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
Gannet--Thanks so much for this encouragement! If I am never able to hand-tame this little fellow, that's OK---I just want him to be able to come out of his cage and fly around the room someday, like all birds should do! A bird that can't fly is a sad thing to see. Especially when I was the one to ask that his wings be clipped! I had no idea they would be clipped so badly. Now I feel he is disabled, thanks to me! So I'm glad to hear from you that there is hope for him. I feel I should be trying to work with him now while he is young. Should I try to take him out of the cage and handle him, or wait until he is brave enough to come out on his own? I've been in touch with a lady who would like to have him, and is not afraid to work with him. She feels it is important now while he is young. But I might have to ship him to her, and I have no idea how to do that or whether it is a good idea. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you again

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Okay, we all want to help you. First of all, how long have you had your bird?
Birds take quite a while to adjust to new surroundings, new people, new voices, and in your case, also a new cage and lots of new toys.
That's alot for any bird to adjust to, and it will take you a while to gain your birds trust to have him step up onto you.
With a new bird, it's best just to sit near him without invading his "space" and scaring him. Talk quietly to him, read a book, sing songs, whatever you feel comfortable doing.
Key word here is Patience. You need to let your bird set the pace and get comfortable with all the "new" things.
Do not rush to train him yet.
Build trust first.Start offering treats through the cage bars.
As your wee one gets more comfortable, he will come out the cage on his own. You can put a perch on the outside of the cage and give him treats there.
With a healthy diet, a good routine, and time and patience you should literally have him eating out of your hands. It won't be today or tomorrow, and may take a few weeks to a few months, but with his wing feathers growing back, and his confidence growing, (as well as your own), you should have a great bond with him.
For your vet visit, a handkerchief or small towel would be good to transfer him to his carrier.
I personally would not ship an already stressed baby bird, but that's me. Just be patient, and read some training books or ask here. Someone will always offer advice for you. :)

Last edited:

Pallas

Moving in
Real Name
Mary Jane
You all are wonderful and so supportive! This afternoon a family who has several birds, some rescues, drove 4 hours to pick up little bird. They are a young family , and their 12 yr old son picked up Little Bird so quickly and confidently that he didn't have time to be scared! Little bird is going to be his project, and I can see it will go well. I told him about your advice, to take it slow and his confidence will grow. The boy feels this little fellow is his bird to rehabilitate, and to keep him company till he can fly and sit on shoulders, and be friends with their 2 other Parrotlets. His mom said he takes great pride in his ability to work with birds. She home schools her children, so someone is always home. I feel so lucky and relieved.
Maybe the lesson in all this is --- don't get a young bird when you are 75 yrs. old. You want to think you can do what you always did, like climb on ladders, but you can't. What was easy once can be nerve-wracking now. It's not fair to the little bird---
I was undone by this experience, knowing tiny birds are helpless creatures, not just there for my enjoyment.
I will miss birds:( But I cannot thank you all enough.
Many, many thanks for being there~~~
Mary Jane

Last edited by a moderator:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am so happy to hear your little bird will be with others who will love him like you have. :) xx